Thread: Help! Floor sanding & coating

Default Help! Floor sanding & coating

Hi!
    I am totally freaking out. We have 2 flats, an upper and lower duplex and we just had someone re-sand the floors. I have no idea what they put down there but the fumes are so bad. Does anyone know if this can be harmful to the baby? I am contemplating moving out for the next few days as the smell is just overpowering and as you can see from the time of my post, the worry about the risk to my unborn baby (let alone my 2 little kids) is driving me insane!
    Does anyone know anything about this / had their floors done etc?
    I will ask the guy tomorrow what he used and call someone I think as I'm freaking out.

Snowy

Personally I would not live in a house with ordinary laquer on floorboards, especially soon after having them done and while pregnant and with small children. We had our floors done when I was pg with our first child and DH refused to use anything but a "safe" product. we settled on a product called "Treatex" - it is some european all-natural hippy stuff (I think it is Danish, the Danes are very careful about chemical opollution) which is sold in australia by a company calle "whittle waxes" - it should come up on google. It is not as "tough" as regular laquer but it doesn't smell anywhere near as bad, and is better for you and the environment

Hi snowy - cannot believe your nearly 1/2 way...

When pregnant with Soph (#2) we did some renos. At 36 weeks pregnant we got floorboards laid and stained. I slept at mums for the night. So all up was outta the house for 24 hrs......the guy told us its perfectly safe....but the smell was pretty overpowering...

Thanks you two. I ended up evacuating to MIL's place the next day. Am still here today but will check later today how badly it still smells in our flat.

Mbear - yes... almost 1/2 way... it's gone by so fast!! (especially since the m/s is over).

Did the same thing late last year. Ended up staying elsewhere for a couple of days. Basically easier on the nose and no temptation to walk on the newly done floors. Just remember to give the place a good airing when you get back, set up some fans if you can to get the air moving.

thanks, Astrid

went in this evening and had a whiff upstairs (only downstairs was done) and it wasn't too bad, so I think I'll move back in upstairs.
    love my inlaws but I think everyone needs their own space, lol

We had ours done late last year and it was really bad for a few days. I would stay away for at least 2 nights and get the windows opened to let it air.

thanks.
    will definitely avoid downstairs for a while