Thread: Help organising nursery!

Default Help organising nursery!

Hi, its me again!! And again, not too sure if I am posting this in the right section, please feel free to move it is not right!

Alrighty then, this weekend I am planning to do a major organisation of the nursery. I've been trying to think of how to do it, but I just cant seem to come up with any good ideas and I seem to be constantly moving and folding clothes and not really getting any where!!

About a month ago I went through all the clothes I have been given and taken out anything that I can keep and use and since then its been sitting in a 85L storage container. This week I bought a tall 5 drawer thingy (pic is on website if you wanna check it out!). So I set out on the task of going through everything in that storage container, and put them in piles according to size (Some sizes had to be guessed cause tags cut off!) I have then proceeded to put all the clothes in to the drawers so I can get all the clothes I dont want off the floor and in to the storage container and in to the shed.

My mum then called and said that I should take out all the summer stuff and just leave winter stuff at hand and then when summer comes I will pull all the summer stuff out and put winter stuff. Ahh I thought!! Too much stuffing around and my back is sore.

I also have got a change table with 4 drawers and a side cupboard (pic is on website if you wanna look).

I then started thinking, where shall I put the jumpsuits, bibs, socks etc? Shall bibs go in the top drawer or shall I put it in the change table drawers?! Where shall the singlets and towels go?! OK, you get my point!!

What I am pretty much asking is how did you find your nursery best organised?? And if you have any ideas of how I should organise my nursery? I have lots of drawers to put stuff in just dont know where! Where did you keep stuff that you would need the most of?

Just any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be reallly appreciated!

hehe Veronica I think you are nesting xx
    No suggestions ... just put things you are going to use alot (singlets etc) in high drawers so you dont have to bend down too much maybe.

LOL Jane, I feel like I am just moving boxes around!! Everything I dont need is in the shed now. Thanks Gosh

Hey V,

Well as I will be settig up our nursery furniture very soon I suppose I will be thinking about all these things too!!

I would probably keep the top drawer or 2 of the change table for wipes, nappy rash cream, powder, nappies etc um and then maybe the singlets there too seeing as you would want to get to those things while changing Avaleigh and maybe like the growsuits and things she will more likely wear at home.

Then I would stick all her "going out outfits" over in the tall boy because that way you can pick what you are going to dress her in, take the clothes over to the changtable and then grab her to dress her, whereas all the growsuits that's kinda stuff you might need to grab in a hurry in easy reach in case of leaks etc.

Another good thing I've seen are like little baskets or containers that you could buy to fit inside drawers, that way you could have one for socks, one for singlets etc, I think I'll do that just to keep everything a bit more orderly and easy to see.

Hope that helps thanks for getting me thinking! I'm excited to see your nursery finished too, the ideas you've had soud great. I am so excited to get Noah's room done!!

hi veronica - I used to keep all the bibs in a basket close to the kitchen. The towels i kept in the bathroom, nice and handy.
    i just had a look at your change table. Lots of space there! You could put some nice baskets on top with things that you use alot of - that is singlets, socks, jumpsuits etc.

Zander didn't have a builtin wardrobe in his room, so we had one with 4 drawers & hanging space above. I had my drawers organised by sizes when Zander was little. 0000 & 000 in the top drawer, singlets & everything, 00 in the next drawer, then 0 & in the bottom I had bibs, hats & other miscellaneous stuff. As he outgrew his clothes I'd pack them in a washing basket & when I had quite a collection I vacuum packed them & put them on top of the wardrobe. As bigger sizes started fitting they'd go up into the top drawer as well. Within the drawers were left hand side, summer stuff & right hand side was winter stuff. LOL very organised huh?!

In the hanging part of his wardrobe I had all the current sized things on the left, spare coathangers in the middle & big stuff on the right. Underneath the clothes on the left was his bedding, blankets, sheets & wraps. On the right was his nappy bag. Every time we got home I restocked it with whatever was used so it was always ready to go.

We have a set of drawers with a change table attachment, so had other stuff in there as well. In the top drawers were all the nappy change things - nappies, wipes, bottom creams & nappy bags. Next drawer down was all the extra nappies & wipes and the bottom drawer had excesses of lotions & potions when he was very little. When he started crawling the bottom drawer was emptied JIC.

Now in his new room things are totally rearranged LOL!

HTH

Sarah that sounds very organised!

The drawers that I have gotten are going to go into the built in warbrobe. I wish I could have gotten something bigger but the bedrooms in this house are tiny. The change table I have is great, but just takes up so much room, plus the bedroom is done so oddly!

I like the idea of having each drawer for different sizes. That is what I started to do and then got a sore back so started putting everything in! LOL I guess what I could do is put the summer clothes on the botton and winter stuff on top because I cant do the half and half thing.

I was also thinking along the lines of having all the nappy change things in it because they are going to be used the most.

What about a nappy hanger?? In spotlight mum and I saw a nappy hanger that she thought would be pretty handy.

Jazmum - good idea on the little basket things to keep items in.

Jas - I like the way you think! I will need to find something to put in to the drawers to keep things tidy cause my drawers are soo messy! Have fun organising your nursery too, cant wait to see it!

lol Veronica, I did the same thing around 22-24 weeks...

We have a tall boy and put the little things like socks, bib, singlets etc in the top drawer. We also have the smaller sized things in the other top drawer - all our 00000 and 0000 clothes, both summer and winter since its stae rting to gt a bit colder now.
    The other drawers have some more 0000 and 000 and "pretty going out stuff". Bottom drawer has blankets, towels and wraps.

We also have one of those 85L storage things with the bigger clothes that she wont wear for another few months. Weve labelled whats in the box (summer 07-08, Winter 07.. things like that)

We were given a nappy hanger, but I havent used it. They do look handy though, but I just didnt know where to put it. We have a shelf above out change table and the nappies are stacked on the shelf.

We use a nappy hanger for cloth nappies which we use as spew cloths.

i plan to get a nappy hanger because we arent getting a change table just going to buy a change mat and pop it on a sideboard that we already have that is of convenient height so the nappy hanger will hang next to it with nappies n stuff... think it depends its more of a space saver then anything else if u have somewhere to put nappies and things u might not want to bother with it because it will just take up a bit of wall u didn't need to take up iykwim? if u do decide to get one though just get someone who has a sewing machine and is handy at hat stuff to whip u up one my aunt is making mine apparantly they are super easy and that way you get o choose the material too!!!
    i am super eager to start setting up our room (bubs is going in our room) i feel weird that i am kinda starting to nest at only 16 weeks think thats weird? just the more stuff we get the more important it is it gets a place iykwim?

I'm like Sarah, and put our spew cloths in the nappy hanger. I hung it in the cupboard though.

Im just putting clothes in today too!! (so organised hey!) Up until now they have all been in size order in one drawer and in the cot!!- i like the idea of size order on the way down though! Thanks and good luck Veronica! I bet we change it all once bubby arrives and we see what works and what doesnt!!

Tan - yes I see myself reorganising everything after bubs is here! But its good to have some sort of organisation before they come Have fun organising your nursery. I would like to hear how you have done it once its all done!

Hi again,
    Well its done - sort of!! I have all 0000 and 000 in the top drawer in piles of singlets, s/s jumpsuits, L/S jumpsuits and pjs. This all fits in one large drawer. The I've got 00 and 0 stuff in the next drawer in type order too (eg singlets etc) The top two drawers have bibs, socks, mittens,beanies, rattles, nail clippers, bath thermometers - all the stuff I dont know what to do with!! Very similar to what Karina has done actally, then i have wraps, bunny rugs, sleeping bags etc in a large bottom drawer. "Nice things" have been hung on hangers - although i dont have lots of "outfits" yet because we dont know the flavour and also being nearly winter Ive focused on warmth etc. Im sure there will be lots to come.
    My change table is a mess though- I have teddies galore on it with nappies (disposable - I dont have a stacker - not sure if i will get one) underneath, and then all the bath stuff, towels, etc. It looks ok (actually there is a pic on my site if you want to see!) and I dont think i have the energy to try and rearrange until bub arrives!!
    Now Im going to pack bubbies bag for hospital so will have to mess it all up again.
    Hope this helps - Good luck!!

I have one of those hanging storage things from Ikea (got off ebay because I am no where near an ikea) and I have put all bibs and blankies, mittens etc into that and I only have a bedside table that I am using for the clothes until we can afford a tallboy. I have a huge built in wardrobe with shelves on the one side that i can use for towels and sheets and nappy change stuff, my pics are on the web page anyway and shows everything in the room. I agree with Tan though, we will end up moving everything when we discover what works best for us.