Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbal Remedies & Supplements for Pregnancy

Default Herbal Remedies & Supplements for Pregnancy

Seeing as this is a frequently posted topic we have decided to start a permanent thread here.

If you are using or have used any herbal remedies or supplements for Pregnancy or you would like information relating to a particular remedy feel free to post here. There are quite a few available for different purposes (eg Raspberry Leaf, Evening Primrose Oil), so why not post your recommendations or experiences.

If you would like information regarding multivitamins (eg Blackmores, Elevit etc) you can find more information in the following thread:

Multivitamins for TTC, Pregnancy & Breastfeeding

If you would like information regarding Herbal Remedies & Supplements while TTC or Breastfeeding, you can find more information in the following threads:

Herbal Remedies & Supplements for TTC
    Herbal Remedies & Supplements for Breastfeeding

*hugs*
    Cailin
    Last edited by Rouge; November 5th, 2006 at 12:06 PM.

I've been taking Folate while TTC and when i get pregnant i'm going to take blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding formula. Would I have to still continue the folate or will the other one have enough folate in it?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Cailin I can't find the thread - the link takes you in a loop back here

can you direct me to pregnancy thread please

This thread is for Supplements & Herbal remedies during pregnancy

THIS thread is for Vitamins (ie. Blackmores) which can be used for TTC, pregnancy & breastfeeding..

Am I making sense?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Regarding Supplements

My question is how much calcium is everyone talking ? ( I need more for twins)

and is anyone talking an iron supplement as there is not much in Elevit ?

What can you take for foot cramps - I read somewhere magnesium is good for this ? This morning driving DS to school I had excrutiating feet cramps - very hard to drive with them.

? on Iodine - our diets are apparently deficient in iodine and they recommend we use iodised salt - does anyone have any info on this ?

Tegan - Blackmores Pregnancy has folate in it - though I am not sure how much - it is less than Elevit. Many ladies are taking Elevit which has 800mg in it - only have to take one a day and not as chunky as Blackmores (you take 2 of these) and when you are nauseous it can be hard to get them down or to stay down. Goodluck this month.

Some people do continue to take more as per Dr's - those at high risk of neural tube defects etc.

Trish - here's what I take:

Calcium - at least 600mg/day. However I also try and have yoghurt, cheese and a glass of milk each day. If constipation isn't a problem for you take 2. I take a calcium/magnesium combo as mag is needed for absorption of calcium (can often offset the constipation issue). Always take this at night as it increases absorption.

Multi - Elevit 1 per day

Zinc - 1 per day. I don't think there's enough in Elevit and our requirements increase during preg.

Fish Oil 1g 2-3/ day. I eat NO fish and omega 3 is important for bubs brain development and have read studies that it reduces allergy problems once born.

Iron - currently not taking iron as my meat consumption is Ok but will probably start again soon esp 3rd trim when I get quite tired and anaemic and bubs needs more. Always take this with vit C or OJ and apart from other vitamins esp zinc and calcium.

I suffered a bit last time from cramps but only rarely and only towards the end. Magnesium is usually (not always) the main culprit.

I think there's enough iodine in your diet if you have a balanced and variety of foods but best to ask your OB.

Anyway, this is just my concoction and it works well for me. I had a healthy pregnancy and DS was a healthy baby. I separate these thoughout the day, especially Fish oil as they are huge and can sometimes have a funny aftertaste. Also my pee is a radioactive yellow colour Lol!!!!! I'm prolly flushing most of them down the drain! I guess nothing beats a healthy diet, however my lack of enthusiasm over food means I'm not as good as I could be.

Can someone help me out in regards to how much fish oil I should be taking?

The packet I have is 1000mgs and it says to take 2 tablets three times a day, do you think this would be too much to take during pregnancy, it seems a lot to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care

Deeanne

I asked one of the experts in another thread will try to find the answer :-k
    Can't remember and I stopped for a while because of nausea trying to reduce number of pills - thnaks ofr reminding me better get back on them.

It was actually flaxseed oil - but here is thread

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17773

Trish - I`m going to show my ignorance here and ask what is Flaxseed Oil?

Also known as Linseed oil -

• Vegetable source of Omega 3 fatty acids

OMEGA-3 's are available from flaxseed oil - or fish oil

Flaxseed (also known as Linseed) comes from the Flax plant - a small, single stemmed plant that has greyish green leaves and sky blue flowers. The amber oil which is obtained from the Flax seeds is rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which is an Omega 3 fatty acid. Various literature states that essential fatty acids are beneficial for the heart and may help reduce high blood pressure and high triglyceride levels.

Flaxseed Oil is also a source of phytoestrogens making it useful for breast tenderness and may alleviate symptoms of PMS.
    Mine are in capsule form.

I have taken flaxseed oil from before pregnancy and still to this day. i switched from teh oil in pregnancy (as it made me sick) to the actual Flaxseeds. I get them in the health aisle in woollies, they're called Linseeds as well, and I have them every morning in a smoothy. Also good in salads. I have found that not only is it healthy, but my nails and skin are much better!! xo

good idea about Linseeds

Hi ladies,

Could someone please tell me if these suppliments should be appropriate?

1. Multi - Blackmores (P and BF)

2. Calcium

3. Iron

p.s I if i switched to elevit, would I need the others?

I dont believe I am getting my RDI through my diet.

Elevit has all of them - check what is Blackmores multi as they recommend you only take pregnancy specific MV as other normal MV are not for pregnant women unless yours is Blackmores the pregnancy & BF one

There is a quiz you can do to see if you are getting enough see the topic here

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22385

I played around with it to see what increased my iron/calcuim - so I know where to improve my diet

Emma
    there is a quiz you can do to see if you are getting enough calcium- I started a thread. See my post above (over the page actually) for the link. Then play around with the quiz to see what food serves increases it

You can start to take fish oil /OMega 3 or Linseed (flaxseed) at any time I think - maybe ask Brenda the panel expert ?

Quick question
    Are there any herbal teas recommended for early pregnancy at all? Or are they all not recommended?

Yeah I found the first link works but not the other two.

I hve been using Blackmores Pregnancy & Breastfeeding. I think the capsules are a bit big and sometimes they make me gag, but anyway.

I had chamomile tea early on because I was rather ill, and its meant to setlle your stomach or something like that.
    Last edited by Karina; November 17th, 2006 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast