Thread: High blood pressure.....

Default High blood pressure.....

Hi, iam 34w1d pg and last week at my midwives app't they said i had high blood pressure so i need to go back tomorrow to check how it is going as i also have some pretty nasty swelling of the feet and hands happening.

What i am wanting to know is , if your blood pressure stay's high and the swelling gets worse or even stays the same is this enough for them to induce you? Or do they just put you on bed rest?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Hope you are all well. Take care Leah

I could be wrong but high blood pressure and edema (swelling) are supposedly symptoms of pre-eclampsia. Not sure of treatment but I've heard of some people being told to have complete bed rest, others are hospitalised and then induced.

My SIL had high blood pressure/pre-eclampsia and was induced 8 days early... it depends on whether or not there is risk of foetal distress which is why they want to check again tomorrow. If it remains high my guess is they would induce early rather than letting you go to 40 weeks...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I had extremely high blood pressure and quite bad swelling. They will probably also check for protein in your urine which is another sign of pre eclampsia. I was put into hospital and induced 3 weeks early.

Kirsty77 Guest

My blood pressure shot up at 23 weeks and I was put on total bed rest and had to give up work.Because I got it so early on giving up work brought my blood pressure down.Because your so close they'll try bed rest first and possibly medication and try and get you to at least 37 weeks before they deliver.

Hi Leah

Let us know how you get on today, if you do have pre eclampsia, they will keep a very close eye on you and bubs.

Take Care

Deeanne

Hi Leah

Hope all goes well today and your BP is lower.

If it does stay high they will put you on bed rest, check your urine for protein and also do blood test.

How did you go Leah?

My BP shot up @ 37w and I was told to get lots of rest and was put on Aldomet. I didn't even have any swelling or protein in my urine but they decided to induce me @ 37w5d.

Good luck!

Debbie Lee Guest

Leah - I was induced 3 days before my DD because of high blood pressure and I didn't have any swelling. There was only a very slight trace of protien in my urine. I am guessing they induced me because I was so close to my DD. They did entertain the idea of putting me on BP medication earlier in the pregnancy but it never eventuated.

Hi everyone and thanks for your concerns.

My app't went really well yesterday and the blood pressure is back to normal so all is good for now.
    The swelling is still hanging around but as we get closer to our due dates i suppose we are going to get something aren't we.

Anyway, i will keep you all posted. Take care Leah

Tigergirl1980 Guest

So glad to hear that your bp is back to normal. Hope it stays that way for you

Leah - I`m glad that your BP is back to normal.