Thread: Highchairs - recommendations...

Default Highchairs - recommendations...

My sister and BIL would like to buy us a high chair. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or features we should look for? There are so mnay to choose from!
    Mods feel free to move - not sure where this belongs!
    TIA!!

Last edited by Beach Mama; April 22nd, 2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot something

Hi! Some really useful features to look for in highchairs are:
    *Height adjustable (adjust it to suit the height you are sitting at).
    *Reclining seat (great when starting on solids and bubs isn't able to sit upright yet).
    *Castor wheels (handy to move around easily).
    *Ease of use when folding down to store away.
    One of the most popular models which do all this is the Peg Perego Prima Pappa or the Chicco Mamma, but there are heaps of other immitations which are just as good and cost heaps less.

Make sure you choose a highchair you are 100% happy with because they do get a lot of use!

Good luck!

My MIL bought ours for us. The brand is Esprit don't know the model and we got it from Target, and it has all the above features that Trish mentioned. And it looks really funky, which is important too But most importantly it was only $119. We love it and would recommend it to anyone.
    Good Luck.

funnily enough, i have found that the absolute best highchair to use is the ikea white plastic one with the attached tray. its easy to clear, props baby up well, easy to transpprt and very cheap. i have 2 at home (2 kids) and one at my mums. ive tried other brands but always found them hard to keep clean etc. i also bought the very expensive stokke one but it was useless. the ikea one is definitely the best in my opinion.

i used to work for someone who swore by those ikea ones too she had three kids and all of them were in those high chairs... the more expensive one they got when they had their first child went to her mums house as a spare because it was too hard to clean as beccas said... i do like the idea of adjustable height though so u can feed sitting at the lounge or have it at different sized tables... u just have to think about what suits you and your lifestyle best!!!

I'd recommend one with a five point harness in case you bub is a high chair wriggler like mine - stops them climbing or falling out. If you check out the book "A Choice guide to baby products" or subscribe to Choice online they advice on what to look for - they tested high chairs last in 2005 so newer chairs won't be there, but the advice is still good.

HI,
    I have to agree with beccas and nonie. The ikea high chair is the best. I bought an expensive one that did everything..up/down, reclined, folded up, beautifully padded and a real pain to clean! Which becomes the most important factor when they start to eat and feed themselves!!

All the best,

Lynnette x

choice recomend the babylove arabella model i just got mine am very happy with it

it passed all safety and functionality tests the best on the market

Hi - I have the Fisher-price aquarium chair which is pretty but now that Kyla is getting older and is messy with her food I've found it difficult to clean cos of the frills around the edge! My advice is something easy to wipe over with no nooks or crannies where food can get stuck!

We had a snazzy Prima Pappa one that had all the whistles and bells..............but we have since replaced it with the Ikea white plastic Antelop.........I am another convert. I love it. Even for a little baby (Lexie is a 7 month old titch) it is great........& SO easy to clean.

I agree with the other girls - I HATE my highchair and am selling it really soon on ebay because I CANNOT keep it clean and it does my head in. It's a steelcraft one with the padded seat and 5 point harness. It's the pits.

After reading this, I'll be checking out the ikea ones, they sound like they are exactly what I'm looking for.

Hi to everyone frustrated with cleaning their padded highchairs! I bought a slip-on cover called a "Messeez" for my highchair, it fits over a Prima Pappa, Chicco Mamma, etc. and just whips off and can be put through the wash or just wiped off outside. It is so handy. Just thought you may want to keep it in mind

we bought one that pulls apart to make a table and chair as well. it is the best investment we made.

Wow - what a bargain you guys!! Ive seen all the ones in Baby Bunting etc - up to $250 and really had though it was alot to pay but it seems the Ikea one is the go!

Hmmmm... I have a relative who wants to buy a beautiful one for us but I think I'll check out the Ikea one as recommended.

Anyone use a Bumbo/Bebepod to feed in initially?

We have the baylove high low chair choice mag recommended etc etc! We have found it to be great and had no probs with it at all. Cleaning can be a pain in the b$$t i just take it outside though and hose it down if really messy and it drys quickly and is spanking new.

I must say though the Ikea one sounds like a good investment too for easy transport etc. We usually make sure a highchair is available if we go away so we don't have to take one so not a biggy for us.

I can't remember how much it cost us but i remember looking and nearly died at the cost of some of them! We got ours on sale from memory and it was i think $150.00 or something like that.

Good luck on choosing one. Hth

Jen

ej_1974 Guest

ikea does a good one and its really affordable too without spending too much.

I have the Steelcraft padded high-lo one that folds up, reclnes etc.
    It is very hard to clean (although it is machine washable).

I would either go for the ikea one or a timber high chair, and use the removable cover/padding and harness.