Thread: Hip/bottom/lower back cramps - Stretches safe to do during pregnancy?

Default Hip/bottom/lower back cramps - Stretches safe to do during pregnancy?

Hi all,

I've just started doing a bit of light exercise in the last two days after four months of doing absolutely nothing (before that I was goign to the gym semi-regularly).

I've not been able to exercise until now, partly due to morning sickness and partly due to a pre-existing condition that meant I wasn't allowed to burn calories.

Today and yesterday I've just gone for gentle walks.

Recently I've been getting horrible pains, particularly in my hips and bottom, but my lower back isn't great either. Its at its worst when I'm in bed and I find I feel best lying on my back which I won't be able to do for much longer.

I find when I go for my gentle walks these areas really hurt - a painful pulling feeling I've never had before. By the end of my walks I feel better - looser - and I'm thinking that sitting around for four months has been really bad for me. I had bad back problems even before pregnancy and have had this sort of pain but not to this extreme.

I want to stretch these areas out since I can't afford to go for a massage or to see a physio (Also want to stretch my upper body - after today's walk I feel like I've been hit by a bus and under my shoulder blades now hurts too ). Thing is, I have no idea what stretches are good/safe for pregnancy.

Can anyone give me some tips? Stretches specific for hips/bum would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

try to sit on a chair (the edge) and cross one leg so the ankle is over the opposite knee, then lean forward. This should stretch out the sciatic line. You should also stretch your hip flexor. Kneel as though you are going to propose, and then bring your whole body forward from the hips.

I suffer chronic back issues and have a nobbly massage ball which I use to help with my bad spots. I lay on the ball and it digs into the spot I need. I got my larger one from rebel for $20 (ut's called a massage ball). My smaller two I got from my physio for about $10 each.

For your arms, which part? Try a pec flex (arm at right angle on wall and then open up your pectoral muscle)

HTH

MG

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try that! I have had terrible back problems for longer than I care to remember - too many years of horse riding and being willing to ride just about any crazy horse anyone would stick in front of me I think!

The pain in my upper body is right in under my shoulder blades. I've done the whole pulling my arm across my body and holding but it just isn't enough.

I might look into the massage ball... could be helpful! Thanks I think what I really need is a massage but DH and I have fallen on hard times since I fell pg so it just isn't going to happen.

I know the spot in your shoulder you're talking about - I get that a lot. I use my massage ball to dig into it (by laying on it) and get great results. I've also recently been introduced to a stretch that is AWESOME! I stand side on to a bad and grab the lower rail (bending at waist) with arm furthest from rail. I then pull myself towards the rail with the arm but use the shoulder to pull away at the same time. AWESOME stretch in the shoulder! I should also add that I have a condition making it almost impossible to achieve stretches, so to be able to get one is just amazing!