Thread: hospital bag

Default hospital bag

Hi, not sure if this question has been asked before so I will ask again. Just wanting to know what the best thing you packed in your hospital bag, or the things that you wish you packed and didn't

Hi renee
    The best thing i packed in my bag were comfortable clothes for after the birth, and the first time i wished i'd known about good quality breast pads. (i went home in a soaked shirt after taking in the pads that you can wash)
    My dh would recommend that partners wear incredibly comfortable footwear. He wore slip on sandals and wished he'd worn some joggers.

I have one of those small towells that dry your hair really fast as I never wanted to leave the baby for too long to be in the bathroom. The other thing is samples of shampoo, conditioner, moituriser etc so I didn't have to take in all my full size stuff either.

If you are going to the JHH, they should have given you a good list of what to take in your booklet thing they give you at the first AN appointment.

Lots of maternity pads is a must I found, (TMI) - also old or black underwear as sometimes you can 'leak' in the first few days of loss. Disposable breast pads, and like others said, the trial packs of shampoo, conditioner and showergel. Also that way you can have your toilet bag already packed and not have to worry about grabbing your things out of the shower and it taking up heaps of room.

I also am packing tops good for breastfeeding that are loose, and cotton pants with drawstring. And a few maternity bras as sometimes you can leak with them too. Phone cards are also great as mobiles aren't allowed as a rule I think?

I wish I had brought more daggy undies! I bled so much I was soaking through the pads and clothes I had on and I had to get my hubby to bring mroe in for me. They provided me with a pack of pads which I went through really quickly. I had also brought a pack of my own though so that was lucky.

I also wish I brought a "do not disturb" sign with me to put up when I didnt want visitors!! Gosh i hate how people just think they own you and just barge right in without even telling you.

yep, defn trial size shampoos, body wash.

I took a pair of cheap thongs too and wore them in the shower, and tossed them when i left.

Sounds weird, but i wish i had brought a book....when bubs is asleep in the day (which is most of the day) visitors have gone, your over watching tele, its too noisy to sleep, i just wanted to curl on the bed and read a good book.....

A hand size mirror - people WILL just turn up, you want to make sure you dont have drool coming out your mouth or sleep in your eyes if they happen to catch u unaware....

clare076 Guest

The one thing I wish I had taken, which I definately will be this time is instead of maternity pads, take ladies incontinence pads. They are softer, more absorbant, cheaper and alot more comfortable if you have stitches
    This idea was introduced to me by a very lovely midwife 2 days after having Shelby.

Oh and I am taking my own pillows, nothing worse than those plastic covered pillows they give you.

Good breastfeeding tops - eg button up, cause you never know who will turn up in the middle of a feed and you can feel much more comfortable and discrete with a few buttons undone rather than your entire top yanked up over your boobs.

I also needed my breastpump as i was doing a lot of expressing and the hospital one wasn't always available - so maybe have it steralised and ready to go at home for your DP to bring incase you need it.

2 things I'm taking this time that I didn't last time - the hug a bub and throat lozenges (I got very vocal during labour last time!).

storm04 Guest

I took a notebook so i could write down all my thoughts, (to put in bubs little box of treasures for when they are older) my sketch pad to draw and i coulnt go without my Lip balm, my lips always got dry during and after labour!

Wow, these are all great suggestions, on the incontinence pad issue, I heard that going the disposable undies are best for the first few days and then you don't need to worry about ruining underpants. I can't wait to hear more suggestions as I am way behind with packing my bag.

ok lol what are disposable underwear?? lol are they paper or plastic undies or just cheao undies u dnt care about??? lol call me dumb but i really have no idea???

someone suggested to me to get mens undies as they are roomier. So i got a pack of 10 from coles for around $9!

mmm they look errrm well yeah gross lol

I just googled disposable undies, they are not what I thought they were, I thought that they were nappy like for weak bladders, my bad, at $6 for 2 pairs I would rather get 2 pairs of black knickers from Kmart for the same price. Maybe I will steal some of Juz's boxers, I don't think that would go over too well. What else do we need to pack :S

lol yeah much rather just buy some undies i am prepared to throw away or better yet use some of my undies that arent as new as the others and plan to throw em out and have a good excuse to buiy nice new undies!!!!