Thread: hospital bag?

Default hospital bag?

ok i have been searching on google for things to put in hospital bag.
    what r thing people really needed and forgot or things that they didnt need at all.
    also did u put everythign in one bag so it was easier to handle or take one for u and one for bubs.

i got a list of things with my brochure and information booklet from the hospital yesterday from my OB. Did you want me to list everything???

Definitely keep baby things in a separate bag, it's easier that way. You can phone the hospital to ask what you will need and what they provide - for example they probably provide nappies and maternity pads but may not provide nursing pads. You might want to take your own hot/cold packs. Think about what you'll want to wear while you're there - I ended up in hospital gowns cause I had a caesar and hadn't taken enough sleepwear; this time I'm going to pack yoga pants and maternity t-shirts which can be worn both in and out of bed. Nothing's really that urgent, because if you forget stuff you can always ask your partner to go fetch it!

HEy sass- gosh your getting organised early..hehe

With Jords i packed my bag at week 40 and went 3.5 weeks longer then that... hehe

I used the HUGGIES web site last time seem to be ok i just coppied it from there

For Labour
    Try to have your bag?s packed by around 36 weeks of pregnancy. This will make you feel more relaxed knowing you have got everything you need for your baby?s birth. If you take something out before you leave for the hospital stick a note to the top of your bag to remind you or your partner that it is missing. Check with your hospital or birthing centre to see what they have available for your use while in labour, you may be able to take in your favourite CD?s if they have a music system.

Here are a few ideas of things you may need:

A comfortable, loose fitting nightie or T-shirt that you can wear through labour and give birth in. You should expect that this may get covered in the fluids from delivery.
    A water bottle/sweets/glucose tablets.
    Any snacks or drinks you would like to have on hand.
    Your Huggies Birth Plan
    Lip balm
    Warm socks (your feet may get very cold during labour). You should be prepared to throw these away after the delivery.
    Massage equipment ? oils, creams.
    Heat pack
    Camera and video camera (ask before you start taking video footage)
    CD?s to play during the birth of your baby.
    Drinks and snacks for your partner.
    Your Huggies Announcement Contact List
    Phone cards and coins for making calls. Check with the hospital staff before using a mobile phone.
    Make-up and hair brush for immediately after the birth if you would like to touch up for the initial photos.
    And a bottle of champagne.

For Hospital
    Most women stay in hospital for around 3-4 days after a vaginal delivery and 5-6 days after a caesarean section. Some hospitals and birth centres allow you a night out with your partner (usually to their on site restaurant or cafeteria) before you leave, so you may wish to pack something for this event. Some hospitals and Birth Centres supply all of baby?s needs while you are there. Check if they have any requirements before you arrive.

3 easy to open night clothes (for breastfeeding)
    3 nursing bras
    Breast pads
    Dressing gown or robe
    Slippers
    Toiletries and make-up kit.
    Plenty of underwear, perhaps even some disposable paper pants.
    2-3 packs of Kotex maternity sanitary pads
    A copy of your Huggies Hospital Stay Plan
    Print outs of your Huggies Announcement Contact List, envelopes and stamps.
    Day clothes and an outfit for leaving the hospital.
    You will also need to have an outfit for your baby to leave hospital. This should include a singlet, socks or bootees, outer garment, cardigan (dependent on the weather) and a blanket for in the car.
    Hope this helps :bellyhugs:

What a coincidence, I was just reading a BB article on that the other day!!

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...g-what-to-pack

I have packed three bags: one for labour (small bag = lollies, powerade, hairband, ipod, DH's shower clothes etc), one for baby and one for me. I think it might be easier to find things if they are in different bags (check with your hospital though as some hospitals have a limit on how many bags you can take).

I went into pre-term labour at 31 weeks (luckily I had my bags packed) and two things which I didnt take and wish I had was my own pillow and a sleeping mask.

i know i am a bit early i am just a freak with that kind of stuff. and i thought it will give people a chance for their input. i knwo the main things to put in but just if there was something u really wanted once u were in labour. or that dp wanted

PACK A ROLL OF THE SOFTEST TOILET PAPER YOU CAN FIND.

Seriously, it's worth yelling about....

Enchanted Guest

Make sure you take lip balm as your lips will get really dry!! Don't overpack on clothes... I did and only wore a couple of things!! As someone else said... see if your hospital provides nappies, clothes and blankets for bubs. I think most do... take advantage of it because they do all the washing for bubs if they provide it all so you don't have to do anything but chuck it in the laundry bag

I would take your own maternity pads in as the hospital ones aren't good AT ALL!

Definatley pack a separate bag for all the things you will want during labour.. I also packed some pj's and undies etc in there too for afterwards. Then when you have your gorgeous bub in your arms someone can take that bag home for you! Things I took in were... gatorade, icy poles, heat pack, music umm can't think of anything else. The hospital usually have ice chips too which I found were a great distraction when I was having contractions!

My hospital gave me a list of things to bring and i just went on that.
    They supply all of the babies clothes while in there.
    So i needed to take:
    * Camera
    * Nappies
    * Wipes
    * Going home outfit for baby (take a couple different sizes)
    * PJs for you (i took 2 pair.. incase you leak)
    * Dressing gown if its gonna be winter
    * Sox
    * Undies (BIG ones.. like the big granny ones)
    * Slippers
    * Thongs (for the shower if youre going public)
    * Maternity pads
    * Breast pads
    * 2 Maternity Bras
    * Cumfy clothes for during the day (2 pairs of pants too incase you leak)
    * Hair brush & any makeup if you wish
    * Hair ties if you have long hair
    * Toiletries
    * A Pen to fill in forms
    * Lollies
    * Any moisturisers you may want to use

I think thats about it. You can go the full hall and take the kitchen sink.. but thats all the things i used while there.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; December 13th, 2007 at 08:23 AM.

Maternity pads - my hospital did provide them but they didn't have sticky backs to stick to unidies so I preferred my own. Oh, and get the big, soft surfboard ones not the slim ones... (I had to send dh to the shop to buy more which he wasn't thrilled about so this time I'm going to take heaps!

My hubby is already used to that,if i need tampons etc he's quite happy to get them for me ,my poor old Dad on the other hand still finds it embarrassingAfter my last birth i was home alone with the bub & ran out of pads so i rang my Dad who only lived about 10 mins. away at the time & asked him to get some,he wasn't happy about it but he did it

I packed bags (OK, so one bag was actually inside the other!) and carried one bag in for labour - that had stuff for me to wear during and after labour, a very, very luxurious bath pack with wonderful shower gel for that first shower. I strongly recommend this - even now when I smell that shower gel it reminds me of that euphoria after Pip's birth Also baby's stuff after labour - his first outfits!

For my stay bag, I had 2 bags, one for baby, one for me. I didn't know what size he'd be so I packed 2 different sizes in seperate plastic bags, made it so much easier.
    I sent family out for berocca and chewy, that was all. Next time I'll take more trackies to wear and less PJ's.

Next time I'll also make sure I pack a few recyclable shopping bags, to take home all the gifts we were given.

Best buy for hossie stay? The 10-pack of men's undies (very comfy, with enough room for multiple pads, and cheap enuf to toss out after) and the ultrathin maternity pads - the hossy pads don't have the waterproof backing and I put the ultrathins down as the first layer and the comfy hossy pads closest to me.

Mens undies! Didnt think of that.
    Depends on the hospital i think re maternity pads.. mine had the same as you buy in the shop, the surfboard stayfree or whatever brand they are. But they do tell you to bring your own.

My top recommendations are:

A book to read or something else to do. After you have had bubs, there will be times when you are really busy figuring things out and when you have lots of visitors but there will also be quiet times. I couldn't sleep during the day because I was on too much of a high and would have liked to have something to occupy me.

I'd recommend some blank paper or notebook of some kind so you can write down how you are feeling etc. I'm one who loves to keep journals and write down experiences and feelings etc. So if you're like that, definitely take some writing materials.

and for labour: 100% juice icy cold poppers. I had mine in the freezer at home and put them in my labour bag when I left for hospital. It was the only thing I was interested in during labour and they were absolutely heaven sent for cooling me down and giving my blood sugar a boost!

I took so much stuff it wasnt funny,lol. Anyone would have thought I was staying for a month!!! This time I know what I will deff be needing and wont.

You dont need much for bubs, well i wony this time cause they suppiled nappies, clothes for the stay, baby blankets etc. Just a few sets of clothes in diff sizes for the trip home & 1 blanket (so they can be wrapped if its cool/cold to the car)

They also supplied pads but I used my own.

This is a fav subject of mine!!! The other girls have said really good things but here's what I think!

Labour bag - barely used it!!! Did put my bathers on fro sawhile but then went nude! Didn't really use anything in it!

Suitcase - wore the same 2 PJ's pants and tank tops over and over (didn't wear any clothes - too hot and couldnt be bothered.

Baby bag - mostly used hospital stuff cause didn't have to wash it but do take some cute nice things in if you want

DO!!!! take your own toilet paper
    DO!!!! take something to snack on during labour and/or stay (I loved savoys at 4am when I was feeding!)
    DO!!!! take the tings that make you feel beautiful (make-up, hair straightner, perfume etc.)

The rest you'll be fine!