Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Food

Default Hospital Food

Not sure where to put this but here goes.

When anyone has been in hospital what was the food like ??

Do you get your food taken to you ??

This is what it was like when i had Kimberley.
    We had to stand in line and get our own.

Breakfast - bread & butter or cereal
    Lunch - Hot meal and pudding. Things like Pie, mash and veg.
    Tea - Sandwich, chips and yoghurt.
    Hot drink before you went to bed.

Similar here except food is brought to you.

Pretty bland but certainly edible when you are hungry!!!

Food @ lyell mc was crap when I first went there when preg with Kameron but i found out after i got out that the kitchen staff were on strike. The 2nd time i had no complaints. Got a menu and filled in what I wanted to eat over the next few days, could choose from fruits/toasts/cereals etc for breakfast, thru to sandwhiches/hot meals for lunch and tea with icecream for dessert. they also bring tea/coffee twice a day.

All meals were brought in to you. Anywhere around 5pm for tea, and during the supposed quiet time for lunch usually 1-3pm

Love

Michelle - which hospital made you queue up for food?? I hope not the WandC as that's where I'm probably going...

Donella - I had Kimberley in the UK so no need for you to worry. But then i don't know what other hospitals are like here.

Nikki Guest

I had Jayden at Sunshine Hopt in Melb.

We were brought a menu each morning for the following day.

Breakfast was cereal or toast
    Lunch was sandwiches or a hot meal.
    Dinner was a hot meal with a dessert.

We could get tea/coffee/milo or a cold drink from a kitchen that was provided for patients. The kitchen also had toasters (bread & spreads were provided as well) & microwaves.

Gee that is rough for a hospital to make women who have just given birth queue for meals!

My hospital food was a bit like aeroplane meals.....not very exciting, but still I loved the ritual of selecting from the menu and having the food delivered and eating it in bed.

I loved the hospital breaskfasts! We were given cereal, hot bread rolls, yogurt and fresh cut melon........it was a feast!

The other meals were a bit ordinary, so often I opted for the sandwhich choice.

I know that some hospitals encourage new Mums to go and get their own food and to sit down with other Mums......I think my SIL told me she did this at Royal Randwick, and the Mums just wheeled the babies in with them.

Michelle, Andrew bought me snacks in as well.....fruit and nuts and cereal bars etc. This was useful if I got the midnight munchies and also becasue sometimes they bought me food and I was dealing with Olivia and didn't have time to eat it/didn't fancy it, but I could snack later on when it was more convenient, IYKWIM?

There was also a tea room to make our own teas and coffees with great big tins of biscuits and I know a lot of hte Mums raided the bicky barrel in the wee small hours!

Actually in the mother-baby unit we were encouraged to collect our own meals and go eat with the others...that was kind of nice for the company, but sometimes hard to drag yourself out of the bedroom when you feel depressed....

I like the idea of being able to pick what you want to eat.

DH did bring me in lots of snacks and drink.
    Also he was able to bring in take away.
    One day when my sister came she even brought me in food as she saw what they were feeding me.

We got given a menu every day to fill out what we wanted for the next day.

Breakfast was pretty crap, bread, butter, jam, vegemite and a cup of juice.

Lunch was nice, usually something hot. Lasagne(sp) some sort of chicken casseroll(that was beautiful) and some fruit.

Dinner was nice too. Pretty much same as lunch really.

i ahd joshua in england too, butt!!! although we didnt have to que up for it, it was brought to us and we got to pick what we wanted froma menu the night before it was given to you, it was all disgusting no matter what u had.. i made my ex sneak me buger king! lol

iam hoping its better here as when ive been in hospital for other things its been ok here in australia.. so i hope i get yummy food, if not ill be asking to be sneaked other food lol

take care
    Lesley

Debbie Lee Guest

I wonder if they provide food for the hubbies too? I guess that varies from hospital to hospital.
    I know that we have been encouraged to bring in lots of snacks and yummy things so I will probably get Neil to bring me in some decent food if I find it to be way too bland at the hospital. Still, I am not a fussy eater at all so I will probably be happy with what I am given. The only thing i won't eat is banana but I am sure Neil will help me out with that one

The hospitals in the UK some still have wards so you shared and area with 5 - 7 other women so they did not worry about you eating on your own.

I'm not a fussy eater. But after the first few times in hospital before i had Kimberley i knew what the food would be like so my labour baby already had yummy stuff in it. They never had a problem with you bringing take away in.

One thing i will have to check out before i have this baby that they are okay with it.

I was given a menu each day for the following days meals probably a choice of 3 or 4 different thungs..
    Brekky was cereal, toast, fruit & cup of tea or juice...
    Lunch was a hot meal or sandwich platter which I usually opted for coz sanga's taste awesome when someone else makes them!!! fruit juice, youghurt etc..

Dinner was various hot meals & desserts... Not too badm as i was in room #1 but it was never raosting, piping hot the way I love my food!

I love hospital food. I have only been in hospital due to injury and not given birth there yet but I would think it would be the same or similar food.

There is always a menu and lots of choices in the private hospitals I have been in.

I liked my hospistal food!! And it sure beats cooking and cleaning up. I chose my food from a vegetarian menu, which was a bonus! Only prob I had was that they would come to collect my tray too soon (not that they took it if I hadn't eaten, it was just annoying). When you have a new bub you only eat when it suits the baby, not when it suits the tray lady!
    Can't remember exactly what I had but, I could choose from cereals, eggs, toast, or a combination of these for breaky, I think lunch was sangas or something like that... than a hot dinner....can't really remember.

Tanya

I wasn't allowed out of bed, except for going to the bathroom, so there was no queueing for me! Everything was brought. We had a menu, the day before, that we could choose from.

Breaky was cereal, toast, coffee, muffins, fruit

Morning tea was coffee/tea and biscuits

Lunch was hot meal, (variable), or sandwiches, with juice.

Afternoon tea was coffee/tea and biscuits.

Dinner was hot meal (variable), with dessert, fruit, jelly or icecream.

It got a bit sickening after five weeks, though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast