Thread: Are hot baths safe??

Default Are hot baths safe??

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I know that spas are not considered safe in pregnancy what what about regular baths at home. I like it fairly hot but have been reluctant to have one since falling pregnant as I don't want to cook the baby!! I read somewhere that baths can increase the incidence of miscarriage in the first trimester, but not sure if this is true or not. Can anyone tell me if this is OK to do?

TIA

Jacqui I have baths all the time, not as hot as usual, but still warm enough to relax in baths. The worry is that your body temperature will increase & that is what causes harm to the babies & yourself. The old school worry was that baths aren't safe due to increased risk of infection, but it isn't really something that they stress too much now.

HTH!

I have heard that its not great to have long and really hot baths, but warm baths are ok.
    I love a hot bath though, but I've just been having it a bit less hot lately.

Yes Christy just summed that up nicely You just need to make sure you don't overheat. Baths are great for relaxing and helping those aches and pains from the preg - just keep the temp warm rather than hot...but you'll know what temp you are comfortable with at the time. Enjoy!

I love proper roasting baths too: sadly I've had to cut back to "normal" bath temperatures (and have had maybe one bath all pregnancy because of that!). So instead I find after a shower I've turned the bathroom into a steam room!

I think it shouldn't be above 30ish degrees, as that will raise your body temperature. I like almost 40 degrees in my bath so you can imagine my lack of love for hot baths!

My Ob actually told me yesterday to HAVE a hot bath. I had it hot enough to relax everything but not hot enought to make me sweat. I also love my very hot baths but have it slightly cooler and then "top up" the heat whenever it gets too cool....

chelleg Guest

It was my understanding that hot baths were safe but you should never have them without anybody else in the house as the warmth causes vasodilation which in turn may cause you to pass out.

I love hot baths - like I LOVE them!!! I am now resigned to having very hot showers as otherwise I can't resist the temptation to have the bath hot, and I end up very light headed!!

Yeh i think it just depends on how hot you have it. I have baths every second day nearly. I was told spa baths are ok again if not too hot. I know 2 of the birthing suites at my hospital have spa baths for your when youre in labour so they must be ok.

In my preg book, it said after 13wks, hot baths are fine, as long as you don't overheat too much and keep hydrated (ie drinking water while in it). I used to wallow in hot baths for ages and I LOVED them. Kat and Jess are both fine and now LOVE their baths/water.....
    I think the main key is to listen to ur body......

I was thinking about this as i love hot baths too...like it 's so hot that turn red lolol
    I'm not pg but just in case i do fall pg i want to be sure not to do any harm.

Does anyone know what a safe temperature is? I love my baths really hot & I'm used to them that way (DH can't stand getting into water that I think it lovely and warm!!!). So I was thinking I should use a bath thermometer to make sure the water isn't too hot - but I'm not sure what the maximum temperature I could have & for it to still be safe.

I have a baby bath thermometer and it says between 36-38 is just right.. so id say it would probably be around the same while pregnant. I had baths while pregnant, as i said above, every second day, and i just went on what felt warm rather then what feels hot? IYKWIM

Princess - I wonder what it is about men & bath temperature - maybe because they don't seem to feel the cold as much as women?
    I like to come out red too (but haven't been doing it since I became pg). Did you have baths that hot right through pg?