Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to befriend Afghani neighbor with baby.....

No chocolate cake as yet.......she did come out a few days after the sheepskin while I was washing my car.....said 'hello' and we mimed out some simple stuff about her baby (who was not with her) and how he was asleep. She watched me a for a while and then went back inside.
    Haven't 'talked' to her lately but have seen her in the street (so she *does* get out!) walking and I've waved as I've gone past.....
    As her husband speaks English rather well I imagine he would have read the note. We have a spare pram now (two spares actually) and I would like to offer one to her but I'm not sure how that would be taken, as it's a big thing to receive and she might feel a little strange?
    There's two women who visit her every week, one looks like a doctor (has a dr bag) and the other is perhaps a translator as she looks like she's from the same kind of place (that sounds awful but how else to explain?!). I've heard the dr. speak English so I'm hoping to catch her one soon and get her to ask my neighbor if they need a pram....
    Ach, slow going and I've been a bit of a wuss lately but we'll get there!

Good on you Choc
    It's funny how simple proximity can create a friendship. If you just smile and wave at her and perhaps give her opportunities to catch you out the front, eventually things will become easier. I always remember how at the beginning of a new year the people who caught my bus were complete strangers. After a few days of catching the same bus, you smile at each other, a few more days then you say hello, and then a few days after that you are having a conversation. The same goes for neighbours.

I think what you've done is fabulous and you have a very generous spirit

I really hope you are able to stay in contact with your neighbour and become more friendly, you're doing a great job!

You're a good egg

I have just read through this thread and wanted to say WTC ayou are a good person I cant wait to hear more

I wish you were my neighbour
    I agree with whoever said neighbours, in general, just aren't the same anymore. I've only spoken to 2 of my neighbours, and only once each, and I don't really 'know' anyone in my street.
    So I think its great what you've done.

Thats so true about neighbours. When we moved in here the place next door was having reno's done. When it was rented out this family moved in. Seemed nice enough people. The guy was a bit forward with his comments but it was water of a ducks back with me. He thought he was being "charming" but really he was just a bit of a sleeze. I use to chat to them over the back fence a fair bit but it was mostly the guy. The Women never seemed that interested in striking up a conversation. One day the guy tells me I wont see him around for a bit, as he was moving out. He wasn't getting on with the kids (not his) so they thought it best to give everyone a break for a bit.
    After he left the women actually started talking to me a bit more & turns out this sleezy pig had such a string of lies happening its not funny. 1, he told me they were NOT married. They have actualy been married ofr over 2 years. 2, He went to bali twice, I knew that but his wife only knew of once. He told her the 2nd trip he was actually on a big trip with the truch from here to Perth & would be gone for a week or so. Told her it was a work thing.
    They were the 2 major things but there was so much more as well.

Made my skin crawl when she was telling me all this stuff. Good riddens to him I said! But she is sure he will change & wants him back! The odd thing is too, they are not a young couple they would both be in there 40's, she has teenage kids from previous marriage. He has kids left right & center. Eww & she wants him back after he told me they weren't even married!

Wow, some guys are just disgraceful......

Hey, FionaJill.........only 91 days left! Yeeehaaa!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12