Thread: how to calculate months...

DoubleK Guest

Default how to calculate months...

i was having a chat with one of my good friends last night, and we were trying to figure out how many 'months' pregnant i am.... and i realised that i didnt actually know!

i had a look in one of my little booklet things, and it has like '1st month- weeks 1-4' etc, and the 9th month was weeks 32-36. so going by this book i am 7 and a half months.... but i have 11 weeks to go still.. not 6?

8-[ 8-[ 8-[

am i calculating wrong, or should i just stop trying to make sense of it and forget the 'months' and go by the weeks! lol

DoubleK Guest

yeh thats what i thought, i always say how many weeks i am, or how many weeks to go... but a lot of ppl ask how many months i am, and i tend to go 'umm ahhh 6? probably 7..' lol they must think i can't remember or something!

Hi Girls

It can be very confusing but I will try to explain.

You are 1 month pregnant after 4 weeks. So that means that you are not 1 month until 4 weeks and 1 day. Before this you are in your first month of pregnancy. At 40 weeks you are in your ninth month of pregnancy.

I hope this makes things a little clearer.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Going back to maths ...

13 weeks = 3 calendar months
    39 weeks = 9 calendar months

40 weeks pregnant is 9 calendar months plus 1 week

Pregnancy is said to be 280 days (though actually 266 days from conception approx.)Most of the tickers /counter boxes go by 280 days and count in weeks/days to go. Months is too confusing.

OR 280 divided by 30 days is 9 months (give or take a few days for months that have 31 days - which is 7 months of year)

EG. Last Saturday 25th Feb - I was 17wks and 4 days = exactly 4 calendar months of pregnancy (from 25th October.

At 16 weeks (some say this is 4 months) - I was not yet 4 months (as there are more than 28 days or 4 wks in a month)

Dr's calculate due date by adding 9 calendar months plus 1 week to your LMP.

So you are actually 1 month pregnant after 30-31 days - 4 weeks and 2/3 days from last period. { unless February conception and not a leap year in which case you would be 1 month - 4 weeks later}

2 months at 8 weeks 5 days etc

3 months at 13 weeks or so and so on.

DoubleK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Hi Girls

It can be very confusing but I will try to explain.

You are 1 month pregnant after 4 weeks. So that means that you are not 1 month until 4 weeks and 1 day. Before this you are in your first month of pregnancy. At 40 weeks you are in your ninth month of pregnancy.

I hope this makes things a little clearer.

so at 40 weeks and 1 day u are in your 10th month? 8-[ :-k

Tulip -
    12 months in a year - so on average they say 4 weeks = month

12 (m in a year) x 4 weeks = 48 weeks but there is 52 weeks in a year
    So what about about 4 weeks difference in rent - every six months you will have an 'extra fortnight of rent'

You are not alone in our business I have a hard time explaining this to people.

As in pregnancy at 6 months you are 26 weeks - but 24 weeks is not 6 months (even though 6'm x 4wk = 24wk)

LOL I'm sure there's another thread about this somewhere....

It's lovely and confusing hehe.

For myself & MOST people I go by weeks and clarify with the due date if need be.

For those that ask in months or people I don't really know I work by calendar months for example I'm due 25th May so atm I would tell someone I'm 6 months and after I hit March 25th I would say 7...

This could be working in with someone else's theories already mentioned but I'm waaay too tired to try and work it out LOL!!

This topic does give me a good giggle though...

Tulip 22 weeks is
    5 months : (13 weeks = 3 months)
    9 weeks is another 2 months approx.
    (7 times 9 = 63 days = 2 months approx.)

26 weeks is 6 full months which is in 4 weeks time for you not 2 weeks time if you are 22 weeks now.

At 26wks - then you have 3 full months (13 wks) and 1 week to go (14wks remaining)

so 22 (where you are now) + 4 (where you will be in 4wks -26weeks) + 14 (left to go ) = 40weeks

yes it is confusing going by months counted as 4wkly lots.

I am sure we all wish the time would go faster some days.

Lea -Yes we did this thread a few weeks ago LOL. BB is so busy it gets knocked off 1st page and not seen by new mums.

DoubleK Guest

LOL what have i started.. im sticking to weeks!!!!!!!!

I'm glad that you're around to make sense of it again! I couldn't remember for the life of me hehe....

Fee Guest

Weeks is definitely easier. But so many people ask "how many months are you?". I just explain that pregnancy is usually measured in weeks and it doesn't make sense in months. But to people who don't know much about pregnancy the "week" thing just doesn't make sense. They can't get their head around it!

DoubleK Guest

yeh thats what made me start thinking i the 1st place... if u say to someone 'i'm 26 weeks' they're like 'so, how many months is that?' lol

natty1077 Guest

OK...heres my take on this...

There are 52weeks and 12 months in a year. 52/12 = 4.33 (ie there are 4.33 weeks in a month).

So....

4 weeks 2 days = 1 month
    8 weeks 5 days = 2 months
    13 weeks = 3 months
    17 weeks 2 days = 4 months
    21 weeks 4 days = 5 months
    26 weeks = 6 months
    28 weeks 1 day = 6 & 1/2 months
    30 weeks 2 days = 7 months
    32weeks 3 days = 7 & 1/2 months
    34 weeks 5 days = 8 months
    36 weeks 6 days = 8 & 1/2 months