Thread: How to clear up a bad sinus drip while pregnant? Please help, I'm at my wits end!

Default How to clear up a bad sinus drip while pregnant? Please help, I'm at my wits end!

Hi everyone,

I have had the most horrible nasal/sinus drip down the back of my throat for my whole pregnancy and I'm to the point that I'm desperate to do something about it. I'm absolutely certain it's making my morning sickness worse than it needs to be and I'm constantly having to spit phglem out into tissues. It's gross!

Steam doesn't help at all (if anything seems to make it worse!), I've tried FESS nasal spray and it just makes it worse. The only thing that does help is a pregnancy friendly antihistamine but I don't want to take it too often. Atm I'm finding I have to take it every second night because without it I wake up feeling sooo sick (I'm guessing because all the goo drips into my tummy while I sleep rather than getting spat out). Even with the tablets its still there, just not as bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get rid of it? I went to my GP who prescribed a nasal spray that (when I asked the pharmacist) I found out has been known to cause birth defects! needless to say I didn't get it and I'm not going back to that GP.

Please help me if you can, I'm at my wits end.

i had that too and it is soo horrible. Even when not pregnant and able to use all the bad drugs I would still get it going in to my stomach all the time and making me vomit if it was really bad.

When pregnant I tried the saline water spray that is called FLO. pumps the water through and moves the mucous along. it worked a bit.

hope you find a solution soon

I had a run of headcolds and chesty coughing and ultimately ended up with a bad sinus infection when I was approx 30wks pg with DS2. My GP prescribed a medicated nasal spray (my chemist is extremely conservative and had no issues giving it to me), antibiotics and told me to use Codrol. I also started acupuncture. All things combined, it finally put an end to the endless snotfest that had been with me for months! For the record, DS2 was perfectly A-OK.

Maybe go back to your GP or find another GP and see if you can get something else. I know from experience how yuck it is to be so snotty when you're pg.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Suga, I'll definitely take a look. Am willing to give anything a go at the moment!

I'd also second the recommendation of acupuncture - they can do wonderful things! Happy to PM you the name of two reputable (safe to use in PG) acupuncturists if you'd like

Quote Originally Posted by belfie View Post
    I'd also second the recommendation of acupuncture - they can do wonderful things! Happy to PM you the name of two reputable (safe to use in PG) acupuncturists if you'd like
    Yes please, that'd be fabulous!