Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many of you opt to have NT scan?

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    FWIW - DH's family member with problems has Fragile X syndrome - it's not life threatening, it's not insurmountable - the child is big for it's size and a little emotionally and mentally slow. definitely not something i deem worthy of termination! i guess this was part of my reasoning with DH - needed him to know that things weren't unable to be overcome...
    DH could have genetic testing to see if he has inherited the Fragile X. If he hasn't inherited it, he can't pass it on to your kids.

You probably know this, but fragile X syndrome is caused by a 'dynamic' or expanding mutation. A segment of the gene expands between generations and if it gets too big, then the baby can have issues. It is only when the Mum has a semi-expanded gene and passes it on that the gene may expand further and the child may be affected. If Dad has a semi-expanded gene, the same size gene will be passed on to the child. So even if your DH has inherited the family fragile X gene, his kids will only inherit the same sized gene.

DP and I chose to have the NT scan because we wanted to see bubs and hear the heartbeat but also because this is our first pregnancy and we wanted to do all the "right" things - I am not saying that having it is the right thing but we both felt pressure to have the test... pressure from society, family etc. In the end it was our choice and we did decide to have the test... we both acknowledge that we chose it.

At the time of the scan (11th March) we weren't sure what we would do if we had a high risk - we had talked about it but had no real conclusions even on the day of the scan. We are considered low risk - so we will likely never know what we would have done if the results were different.

As I said this is our first bub and we have thought about whether we would have the test for any subsequent pregnancies but am not sure and we both agree we will cross that bridge if we get to it.

It is most definitely a personal choice.

Fragile X - I've never heard of it. Sounds extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Evie76 View Post
    Fragile X - I've never heard of it. Sounds extraordinary.
    It's called Fragile X Syndrome because when they look at the X chromosome under the microscope, one of the 'arms' of the chromosome has a dangly bit at the end-like it's going to fall off.

Thanks Kate.

The weird things chromosomes do!!

i had a dating scan at 6 weeks so i am wanting to see lil beany again as im getting very paraniod so i will ask the dr for a normal u/s just to check but if he wont give me that i will get the NT one done

If you would not terminate anyway then i would see little point EXCEPT to have another peek

I didn't have it done. I was only 20 and have no family history so quite low risk. I probably would have had it done but I didn't actually go to the doctor till I was 18 weeks so by then, it was obviously too late for it.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I had it done just so I could have a look at DD. I couldn't stand having to wait until 20 weeks to see my bub. I'd probably do the same again next time. Wouldn't get termination either.

TBH never bothered with it... i was told by my drs that i wasn't in the age group to be concerned enough bout downs. Suited me i hate all but the US!!!!

I wasn't actually even given an option by my doctor, he just handed me the forms and said this is for your blood test at 10 weeks and your scan at 12 weeks.

I had my NT scan last Saturday. It was a relief to have it done, particularly as I had such good results. I didn't realise how concerned I was about something being wrong until after we had the scan. My mum even commented on how much more relaxed and happy I sounded when she spoke to me.

I never had it done with my four boys but this time I just felt I needed too.
    I ummed and ahhhed because like many of you, downs was not a termination option for us. However because it tests for other genetic factors I had to be realistic with myself. I am not a spring chicken anymore (wouldnt say old but certainly not in my 20's) and I have four children.
    This pregnancy has already kicked my [email protected]#% so I know in myself I simply do not have the energy or the time to dedicate to a special needs child, without my boys missing out or suffering.
    I have come back as very low risk which does give me some relief but the reality is that until this one is born I will still worry test or not.

No I didn't bother with it even though I could afford it. If I was in my forties I would opt for it though.

Based on Age only I had a 1 in 400 risk, I'm 32.

I had the bloods and NT scan to measure the thickness of neck fold and both combined have come back with a risk 1 in 8,512.

I am a total stress head and worry non stop about anything, I also like to plan, so for me it was getting the results then we would decide what to do from there.
    Obviously with a risk like that I felt alot better.

We had the NT scan done with both of our children - I actually didn't realise I had a choice until after we had it done with the 1st one! I went to an obstetrician and he does them routinely for all of his patients, regardless of age. I guess I could've refused if I wanted to, but I was really eager to see our bubs both times and at least make sure everything was going along as it should be as my first pregnancy resulted in an early miscarriage (so I was a little nervous both times!). At least if we'd seen bub, knew he/she had a heartbeat and was growing well, I could relax a little.

First bub risk was about 1:17,000 which was a great result (I was 26)
    Second bub risk was about 1:4500 which again was a great result, however at our 19 week morphology scan a soft marker for down syndrome was picked up anyway. We were given the option of amnio but decided to just continue on and let whatever will be, be.......long story short he does not have down syndrome.

While I feel its good to be able to see our bubs on ultrasounds and I will always choose to have the NT scan, they can also cause a lot of worry and stress if any "high risk" factors are detected.

I had to get the NT scan done with DD2 as in my first ultrasound the fluid in the neck was 6mm more than it should have been indicating that she did have DS i did the scan and still results were looking like she had DS i refused the needle in the belly (sorry dont know what its call cant remember) because to me it wasnt a concern if she has DS or not we had been through too much and tried too hard for her she was/is my baby and no matter what the love would be there. My doctor wanted me to terminate saying at 21 i wouldnt be able to cope with a 3 year old and a DS baby but i ignore her "advice" and continued through the pregnancy. Through all scans the fluid was a concern and i was pretty much told your baby IS going to have DS but when she was born she didnt just got a fat neck like her daddy

Quote Originally Posted by firstbub View Post
    Hi girls,

I am 29 years old and will be 30 by the time the baby arrives.
    im surprised they even suggested a test for downs...i thought it was only usually for women over 35 that the risk increased. ???

Im currently 11 weeks pregnant and Im 34 turning 35 a few months before bub is due. My Dr also suggested i take the test but like you, i would not terminate even if the baby did have downs so i dont see the point in taking the test.

As the Dr said to me, the reason to take the test is to have the option of termination.

If thats what you want then take the test, if not, enjoy your pregnancy.

I would always get the test done even if I was 21 and not nearly 41 as I am.

I STILL have no idea what I would do if I found I was carrying a child with Downs BUT I would rather know beforehand and have months to prepare myself emotionally than find out a couple of hours after the birth. So for me it's about emotional preparation, not about termination necessarily.

Obviously my age makes it more of a concern that for most. This time around my age alone gave me a 1 in 67 chance. After bloods and the ultrasound, that came down to a 1:1300 risk. Very relieved. I only wish they could do the test at 6 weeks, not at 12 weeks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast