Thread: how much extra do you need to eat?

Unhappy how much extra do you need to eat?

lol me again.... who would have thought id have another question lol...
    lately i have been feeling more hungry then usual its sorta built up over a few weeks.... at first i was lucky if i could get one piece of toast in for breaky but one became two and now i am eating two with tinned spagetti and still feeling hungry afterwards despite drinking alot of fluids with it...
    i usually eat like a big bowl of pasta or something similar for lunch and then a small dinner coz thats when i am feeling sick... as well as a few snacks during the day depending on the day...
    i guess what i am asking is should i be eating more when i feel hungry or is my mind playing tricks on me?
    as i have said in previous posts i am concerned about gaining weight.... i know i am gaining it because i am living on carbs but atm it seems thats what my stomach is kindest to me with lol... anyway should i be listening to my stomach and eating more or would that be to the point of indulgance and i should just leave it?

I ate when I was hungry, and like you, also kept my fluids up, that's really important. I had problems eating at night too, so ate when I could during the day. Maybe also try to vary your diet so that you're eating more fruits and vegies, if you can stomach them. Even nuts and dried fruit can be a good snack (and they can help with any constipation, as well!) Are you exercising? Our dog needs walking twice a day so I have kept that up and I think it's helped to keep the weight fairly reasonable. We don't go far, only 15 minutes morning and again at night but it seems to work well.

I wouldn't worry too much, I lived off potato chips, especially salt and vinegar, for about 2 weeks because that's the only thing I really wanted! There are diets you can follow for when you're pregnant (by that I mean proper balanced ones, not like the cabbage soup diet or anything!!), perhaps talk to your hospital as they'll have dietitians there, and might be able to recommend someone to give you a better idea than my ramblings here!

Hey Noni

In my first trimester I was SO hungry...and craved anything junky, filled with carbs and processed!!! The thought of fruit, veges, and basically anything healthy made me feel quite sick.

I was really worried that I might be massive by the time I finish the pregnancy!

Thankfully, in the second trimester, everything seems to have settled down. I'm now not so incredibly hungry, I'm eating far more salads and healthy foods and no longer craving junk (especially twisties!!!)

So...feeling a little more balanced now. I just hope it continues!

Wishing you all the best!

I have just been eating when I am hungry. I must say though, I was so much more hungry during first trimester, then second and the first part of third trimester I wasnt so hungry, but now I am a food monster again.

I would just eat when you need to and make sure you drink plenty of fluids and have fruit and vegs. I know I always feel so ill if I let myself get hungry.

i say, eat when you are hungry, but, make sure it is hungry - not boredom hungry, and when poss, choose healthy options, which can be hard when you have m/s and the only thing that you feel like eating and that stays down is junky.
    I read somewhere that you only need to eat an extra 200cal a day, or something like that, equilivent to an extra peice of fruit. So, if that is correct, its not a heck of a lot.
    In your first trim, putting on anywhere up to 2.5 - to 3kg is pretty acceptable i think is the recommended weight gain.
    Having read some of your other posts where you mention you have had varing weight issues i say try not to worry to much about what you weigh, just keep active, and eat as healthy as poss. Chuck in veges with those carb meals to help fill you up.
    The best thing i did - from the advice i got on here, is to stop being paranoid about my weight. I do weigh myself everyday, but, i dont record it daily - (one step at a time!) as i really have realised that it changes so much each day, depending on fluids etc.

oh, also, in the first trim - i craved savoury type foods, went right of healthy stuff. Come 2nd trim, went back to wanting healthy meals and didnt have that savoury carb type cravings anymore.

I was the same with the whole 'carbs' thing. I also eat 2 pieces of toast for breaky and in the first tri it was usually with eggs or tinned spaghetti, lol. I also hated the thought of veggies and the smell! But when i got to second tri those feelings were gone, now i can eat anything and i always keep my fluids up, which usually helps me feel full.

HTH,
    Simone xxx

I ate HEAPS in my first trimester because the minute i felt hungry i also felt sooo sick and would dry retch- not throw up most of the time because there wasnt anything to throw up though - I put on most of my weight in the first trimester and now its plateaued off - thank goodness - have put on 8 kgs so far but indulge in choc or junk food every now and then when i feel like it!! Good luck!

Hi Noni, I see you and I are very close in our due dates and I can honestly say I AM RAVENOUS! I went through a stage where I would eat a complete meal and my tummy would be rumbling an hour later. I had a chat to the dietician about it (since i am overweight and trying to prevent GD, etc) and she said a couple of extra snacks, and make sure the snacks hit the spot, ie a tub of yoghurt might not, but add a sprinkle of muesli (low GI) and that has seemed to work ok. I also have an extra snack after tea (usually dairy and fruit) if I'm still hungry. My meals are still the same, watching protein and carb and fat portions, but it's adding an extra snack or two that I find helps.

Like the dietician said, it's not the extra sachet of porridge that makes you fat...!

Ack! I can't find my slimplicity book, I know there's one at work, I'll look at it tomorrow for you.

OK, found it.

"Pregnancy: add an extra 600kj = 1 milk and 1 meat serve per day.

Breastfeeding: add an extra 2500kj = 2 breads & cereals, 1 milk, 1 meat, 1 fat, 2 miscellaneous"

I found during the end of 2nd tri and the the 3rd trimester I was having big breakfasts. I wouldn't worry too much if you're eating more morning & lunch, coz that's the best time of day to be eating anyway. You're more likely to put on weight if you eat and then go to sleep for the night.

Kazbah - I haven't upped my diet for breastfeeding. I just eat when I'm hungry hehe. But my meals seem to be fairly normal and what they were before.

I was also really hungry at your stage of pg, and worried about weight gain. But I found if I didn't eat I feat sick so I had to have some thing. Luckily my cravings were for fruit and salady things, so it was ok. I also ate two breakfasts for quite a while- LOL! One of toast and then a few hours later I had fruit and weetbix or something For a while I ate every two hours and wanted chips all the time, but found if I ate toast or crackers like vita weets I was ok. With the occaisional indulgence of course. I was also worried about constipation, which I had for quite a while (sorry for tmi!)So I made sure everything was wholemeal,and lots of fruit and veg. I think eat what you need to there's a reason why you're hungry,your body is going through a big change, just don't have junk all of the time.

Kel.

Hi,

I have only in the last month or so become ravenous. But I have also found I am more hugry at night, so because it is late I generally don't need a full meal, so I have a glass of milk, sometimes with milo. This might be a good choice in the morning after your toast. A glass of milk is good for you and it can be quite filling. Plus you should be having a couple of glasses each day anyway.