Thread: how to prevent hemroids

Lorin Guest

Default how to prevent hemroids

I am very constipated through my pregnancy, and am wondering how can i prevent getting hemroids.

Just try not to strain! Eat lots of fibre, maybe even take metamucil or something? I personally found having an orange or something in the evening kept things going smoothly the next day.

also drink loads of water which helps soften the stools. And exercise (just walking is often enough). One I often recomend is warm water and exercise combined. Works better than you'd think! Or have some warm water when you actually feel constipated, it might be enough to soften the stools.
    Try not to strain when you're on the loo and don't stay too long - the pressure from sitting unsupported for so long actually makes it worse. I remember reading something that said if you can't go in the first few minutes, get up and try again later.
    HTH.

MG

xox_jessie_xox Guest

Yay someone else finally asked this question lol...Lorin i have the same prob =[ i seem 2 get sore hips tho while going 2 the toilet (tmi maybe) just dont know if its normal lol *blushes*

Love your ticker Jessie! The sore hips is probably from the lack of support from the toilet seat. When we sit on the toilet, all our weight is taken up in the pelvic region which could cause the pain. The ideal toilet seat would provide even weight distribution across the whole area, but it just isn't possible considering what we want to do! Try and keep an eye on your posture and don't hang around too long.
    I'm hideously embarassed about my knowledge on this topic. I had to write a paper on it for Uni once, the things we learn hey?
    MG

the midwife at antenatal class said to put a stool or some phone books or something like that in front of the toilet and place your feet on them to give them a bit of height. also to lean forward slightly. i havent needed to try this out yet but you may as well give it a go to see if it helps with the straining. also keep hydrated and eat lots of fibre rich foods.

Lorin Guest

Ok this is good. I am acually taking metamucil i was hvaing about 5 a day and was not working for me. What foods worked for you?

Janie Guest

Not to put a damper on this but I drink heaps of water (heaps!), eat an orange a day, plus have orange juice for breakfast and fruit on my cereal. I have plenty of fibre and I pooh correctly (was taught in an early pregnancy class) - and I still got a hemorrhoid (it is nearly gone now).

I don't know that there is a fail-safe way to avoid them.

BTW - I actually think I got mine from going to much rather than straining. I used to go once every day or two and then since being pregnant can go two or three times a day.

Lorin Guest

Oh 2 or 3 times a day is my dream If only. Well i go probs once a week maybe twice if i am lucky. And i just feel liek crap all the time form being so constipated its a horrible feeling i hate it. I wish i could poo proply.

I got mine ab0out 2 months after birth, not constipated or anything. Go figure. No idea how come and I had lots of fibre, and still do. ...

Lorin Guest

how long does it take for Hemroids to go away

I work in aged care and the residents who have problems with toileting now have to eat an orange (not orange juice) before anything else in the morning. Keeps them regular. Though an orange on an empty stomach can be a bit too acidic....but give it a go and good luck!

Lorin Guest

Ok - Thanks Chocolatecatty