Thread: Hummus in pregnancy

Default Hummus in pregnancy

I've just been googling hummus and pregnancy - I've got a hankering for it and wanted to know if it was safe. I saw a thread on this the other day, but I can't find it again.

Anyway, I came across this:

Listeria monocytogenes infection from foods prepared in a commercial establishment: a case-control study of potential sources of sporadic illness in the United States.Varma JK, Samuel MC, Marcus R, Hoekstra RM, Medus C, Segler S, Anderson BJ, Jones TF, Shiferaw B, Haubert N, Megginson M, McCarthy PV, Graves L, Gilder TV, Angulo FJ.
    Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA.

BACKGROUND: Listeria monocytogenes has been estimated to cause >2500 illnesses and 500 deaths annually in the United States. Efforts to reduce foodborne listeriosis have focused on foods frequently implicated in outbreaks. Potential sources for L. monocytogenes infection not associated with outbreaks remain poorly understood.

METHODS: The Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network conducts surveillance for culture-confirmed listeriosis at clinical laboratories in 9 states. After excluding outbreak-associated cases, we attempted to enroll eligible case patients with L. monocytogenes infection in a case-control study from 2000 through 2003. Control subjects were recruited through health care providers and were matched to case patients by state, age, and immunosuppression status. Data were collected about exposures occurring in the 4 weeks before specimen collection from the case patients.

RESULTS: Of the 249 case patients with L. monocytogenes infection, only 12 (5%) had cases that were associated with outbreaks; 6 other patients were ineligible for other reasons. Of 231 eligible case patients, 169 (73%) were enrolled in the study. We classified 28 case patients as having pregnancy-associated cases. We enrolled 376 control subjects. In multivariable analysis, L. monocytogenes infection was associated with eating melons at a commercial establishment (odds ratio, 2.6; 95% confidence interval, 1.4-5.0) and eating hummus prepared in a commercial establishment (odds ratio, 5.7; 95% confidence interval, 1.7-19.1).

CONCLUSIONS: Most cases of L. monocytogenes infection were not associated with outbreaks. Reducing the burden of foodborne listeriosis may require interventions directed at retail environments and at foods, such as melons and hummus, that are not commonly recognized as high risk. Because of the severity of listeriosis, pregnant women and other persons at risk may wish to avoid eating these newly implicated foods.

PMID: 17243054 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    However, to put it in perspective, another site said this:

But don't be too alarmed. Remember even with the highest numbers, the total incidence of Listeria in pregnancy is only 0.01%.
    ETA - just thinking about the post I saw the other day on this topic - some people were saying they made it fresh - can't imagine that there could be a problem with that. Maybe just stuff served at restaurants or bought in the shops. I know I've been a bit dubious since I bought a tub once, it was properly sealed but it had a big patch of green mould in it. Threw it away of course.
    Last edited by Devon; July 10th, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

You can just make your own: chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic! That's what Im doing xoxo

I ate it but only if it was homemade and made fresh - didn't eat any that had been stored for a while and no supermarket or restaurant dips. Yes, low risk but best to be careful.

Do you want the recipe?

TICKLISH