Thread: "I don't look pregnant" moments

Default "I don't look pregnant" moments

Hi girls.

Just wondered when was the latest we all had “I don’t look pregnant” moments. I think I’m going to win at 29+3 and going strong; I’ve just been chatting to a chap and I patted my belly and said “well, looking forward to Christmas.” (I told him 3-4 weeks ago I was pg and he was shocked.) Then he started going on about decorations… maybe I should have said “looking forward to Maternity Leave starting at Christmas” – what do you think?

I had so many of these moments last week with even girls not realising I am pg, but I had hoped that staying in size 8 blouses that really don’t want to be buttoned up would help me look more pregnant: isn’t working.

So, what’s the latest everyone else has gone to waiting for people to realise it’s baby bump, not beer/pie belly? (I had an obstetrician ask me a couple of weeks ago how many pies I’d eaten whilst I was talking to his secretary, but I'm fairly sure he was joking.)

Its just one of those thing Ryn. You will have one person tell you that your tiny (like I did last week) then someone tell you in the next minute that you look ready to pop.
    So many people like to have an opinion on where our pregnancies are at, and really - alot of it is just conversation starting!
    I have been one of those people that is a late bloomer too - but no fear, people know I'm pregnant now. Even yet I dont get the respect someone in my condition should get - you know, being offered a seat or a hand cause I just dont look as far along as I am.

Try not to let people get to you, its better for you to be smaller - less stretchies, less weight to lose, and you are far more comfortable!! And as for maternity clothes - who really wants to wear them anyway Save your money and wear normal clothes as long as you can!

Percy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fi View Post
    Its just one of those thing Ryn. You will have one person tell you that your tiny (like I did last week) then someone tell you in the next minute that you look ready to pop.
    I get this all the time! Drives me insane! One person will say "wow you're getting big: then the next person not five minutes later will say "gee you are quite small aren't you?"!!! GRRR!!!!

I must say though I do look very pregnant now - have lost my feet somewhere along the way! I realised this morning I haven't seen them for a few days.

Anyways there isn;t a lot one can do about other people's comments except laugh and say oh well silently to yourself.

At least people aren't saying that youre further along than you are... I got told that I look 6 mths pg the other day and I'm not quite 5!!! That was by more than one person too. AND...at least you have decent clothes to wear if you still fit into 'normal' sizes- I hate maternity clothes with a passion and only have about three outfits that I actually feel comfy in, and I still have 5 months to go

Kellie.

od I am constantly being told that I am HUGE and cant believe that I still have 13 weeks to go. My HUGE belly seems to be public property these days too, everyone helps themselves to a rub which I dont mind most of the time but there is this one girl that pokes or jabs at it and I really dont like it, I try and stand at arms length when I talk to her now ha ha

People making comments on my pregnancy size has really upset me lately. 2 weeks ago a lady working in a maternity shop commented on how small my bump was for my stage of pregnancy - she even suggested I check with my Dr. to see if things were progressing normally. Then, this week, a lady at work told me I was "massive" and would have a huge baby AND that I was the type to gain a lot of weight in pregnancy!! I had to tell her that I was 5 months pregnant and still wearing my size 8 jeans but I was totally devestated.
    Ryn, I look chubbier than usual but not really pregnant and I hate it. My tummy looks huge to me as I am normally quite flat (like you). I wish people would just keep their comments to themselves as it doesn't take much to worry/offend me at the moment!.

Cool

Not one person in my work team at work has "clicked" yet or asked.

Other people I work with? About 5 or 6 have asked if I'm expecting

(guess that says something about my work team though)

I found people often didn't mention it, even when I thought it was blindingly obvious that I was pg. Maybe they were being cautious just in case I wasn't. I took DH to the Dr when I was 6 mths pg and he was really sick. We couldn't see our usual GP and he asked the guy we saw was there any danger for me. Dr asked why. DH said 'cos she's pregnant'. 'Oh' he said and had a closer look.

That said, it can be frustrating having people voice their opinions on your size, baby's gender (or your decision to find out) etc etc. 'Everyone' swore I was going to go early, but as you can see, I haven't!! I figure it's good practice for ignoring all that unsolicited parenting advice that will start appearing soon.

I'm sure you look gorgeous Ryn and just think - you probably won't have to worry about getting rid of all those excess baby kilos that most of will have to deal with.

Jac, I can't believe some people! OK, I had a midwife and Obs telling me I was "too small", but at least they ordered a scan so we could see the baby is OK. No-one believes me when I tell them I'm almost seven months though. And people are still not noticing unless I tell them, but then I am still in normal clothes.

My memory is messing me up, but I'm fairly sure I've only "looked" pg ince week 25ish - before that people were still kindly telling me I was at the "fat" stage. In fact, just checked out my reflection - in jeans and a baggy fleece, you can't really tell there's a bump under there. Wish I could wear fleeces to work! Although I did have a huge moment of self-loathing this morning when I saw my naked form... it is pretty fat when I'm laid out in bed. I'd cover up, but then I get too hot - DH wants the thicker duvet, but I find that a little too warm right now.

I think if anyone told me that I was the type to put on the pounds in pregnancy I'd point out that not everyone is as unlucky as [nasty commenting woman], but really, hers were years ago and she could have at least tried to lose some of the extra weight by now.

Sadly, at my work everyone knows me so points out that their belly is bigger than mine (mostly perimenopausal women) before I can!

I have no trouble with people thinking I am pregnant now. In the last few weeks, my belly has really popped out. I am usually a size 12, so definitley not tiny, and I have put on about 5kgs so far. All my normal clothes still fit (under my belly for pants)and the rest of me looks the same until I turn side on. I always have people tell me different things - you look huge for 23 weeks- or - you are so tiny! Who knows?

beastie Guest

i didnt never look NOT pregnant

in week 13 they asked me, when i gave birth ... 'must be in a short while' - no its in 6 month!
    'oohhh... but there are twins??' - no, just ONE!!

edit: I was in maternity clothes at 7 weeks
    Last edited by beastie; November 26th, 2006 at 08:40 AM.

ROFL! I was in maternity clothes at 12 weeks, so I think that answers the question!