Thread: I fainted last night

Unhappy I fainted last night

I fainted last night while at the cash register at Myer paying for a present I am really worried about the baby. Has anyone fainted during pregnancy? I landed on my back predominantly and side. I have a cold at the moment and think this may have triggered it. But it was scary. I am hoping to see my doctor today but I'm so worried. Take it easy pregnant ladies over Christmas, as it isn't an easy time.

Hasn't happened to me, although i've had a couple of close calls. I faint with the best of them!! My sister was telling me that she had a couple of fainting spells with her first baby. Your blood pressure drops naturally and so you can get dizzy easier. Baby turned out fine. The good thing about fainting is that you kind of collapse "softly" ... depending what you land on, of course!! Falling over is a little more painful. Either way, baby is almost certainly OK. I'm guessing you're not due in May this year (!), so there's still loads of fluid around to cushion him/her.

Someone told me pregnant women have been falling over for centuries and the babies come out just fine at the end! Good luck with your doctor and make sure you rest lots and don't stand up too quick or for too long in the heat ((HUGS))

The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with DS. It also happened whilst paying for things in a posh department store - Harrods! Must be what happens when you see the bill!

Seriously though there are so many things it can be, for me it was hot, i'd been doing alot of walking and hadn't had any lunch. Could it have been any of those things for you?

Hope all goes well at the Dr and don't stress too much

Merry Christmas

Hi Jan,

hon. How scary it must have been for you. Fainting is relatively common in pregnancy (so I'm told - I haven't experienced it yet) but you should still have a chat to your health care provider about it. In the meantime, take it easy! I hope you didn't suffer any bruises from the fall! The one time I fainted (many moons ago), I ended up with a massive egg on the back of my head!

Hope you feel better soon.

MG

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

I came close to fainitng on the bus on the way to work i was about 23 weeks pregnancy at that stage, i was standing on the bus (yes nobody got up for me when i walked on) so i ended up sitting on the floor near the doors to let the fresh air in.. i now drive in to work. Try to drink lots of water and take it easy!!! Its not a good feeling thats for sure.

I have fainted when pregnant, and everything was fine. Everything just all of a sudden went this dark green and then black and I woke up on the floor. Make sure you're getting enough fluids in this heat, as well as the other suggestions.

I fainted whilst in a shopping centre also. Make sure you take things out with you with sugar in it, as your blood sugar level can get very low very quickly. I hadn't eaten much that day hence the faint so keep your food intake up, never leave the house hungry!

At the moment, if I feel a little light headed, I eat a candy cane. Any excuse lol

Taia's Mum Guest

Shopping centres make me faint! The heat in there can sometimes get too much. Pregnant ladies are also prone to their blood pressure suddenly dropping. I keep a bag of jellybeans with me to keep my blood sugar up as well.
    I wouldn't stress - it's pretty common!
    xoxo

tiggy Guest

I fainted twice during Ivy and Noah's pregnancy, both at the register in the shops.
    THe first time I fell backwards the second time forwards onto my face. THe babies were fine both times (although I was a little worse for wear! LOL).
    The reason I passed out was because my iron levels were low.

Jan, if you're worried about bubs it might be best to see the GP if that's the only thing that will make you feel ok. Sorry to hear about the fainting fit...I didn't faint during my pregnancy but I did come close once whilst standing in Australia Post. I ended up plonking myself on the carpet floor and waiting until I felt better - whilst sipping juice to get my blood sugar levels up again.

My sister had a spectactular spill down two flights of stairs whilst almost 9 months pregnant with my niece. The both turned out to be fine (my sis ended up with a lovely grazed bum and thighs)...bubby has quite a lot of padding in there.

Thanks for all of your feedback It has made me feel a lot better. I didn't realise it was so common. I saw my GP today and he said that everything is fine. I heard the heart beat which put my mind at rest. I will definitely carry a sugary lolly with me from now on and will sit immediately next time I feel it coming on. Though hopefully there isn't a next time! Thanks lovely ladies

Jan,
    I am glad that everything went okay at the Doc's. Keep up with the water too. I nearly collapsed yesterday as I was standing at the Layby counter at BigW for almost an hour. Not waiting to be served, but waiting while they tried to sort out problems with our laybys. In the end I just went and sat down, and talked to the sales girls from my chair. It took me all afternoon to get over that I think.
    Do take care, especially in the heat and when rushed off your feet.