Thread: I feel like I've pulled a groin muscle....

Default I feel like I've pulled a groin muscle....

OK, I am hoping this is normal, but lately I have been having these really bad pains, especially when I walk that feel like I pulled a muscle in my groin. But it comes and goes so I know I haven't pulled a muscle really.

So what is it? Is there anything I can do about it?? Am I the only one to have it? :shock:

I have been getting them too! I think it may have something to do with all your muscles loosening up in your body for the labour. I'm sure someone else will be able to clarify a bit better for you!

I'd say that's what it is. Some women get this happening earlier than others and in varying degrees of severity. It is normal and there is not much you can do about it. Be careful when getting up or making any sudden jerking movements with your legs (mainly while exercising - if your up to it). later on it may get worse. I would get it quite bad sometimes and found it difficult to do alot of walking or anything. Laying down or sleeping with a thin pillow between your legs can make it a bit more comfortable, especially as your public bone starts to soften (which will happen soon). HTH.

Oh yes, I'm hearing you on this one! It is pretty painful, isn't it? I find the worst when you get up from sitting on the floor, or rolling over in bed at night. Like sherieb said, sleeping with a pillow between your legs might help.

ponsito Guest

If only I was back at that "I feel like I've pulled a groin muscle" stage of this pain. I hate to be the bearer of bad news ladies but it's only uphill from where you are. At least, it has been for me. My pain, as you've described, started back at week 25 (I'm now 31 weeks) but I've heard of others getting it earlier, others getting it later and some lucky ladies not getting it at all.
    My obstetrician and 3 obstetric physios all say the same thing - it's very normal for a lot of pregnancies and that it is only temporary (it'll go away after birth). It's caused by the release of the hormone Relaxin into the blood which tells your pelvis, hips etc down there to loosen up ready for delivery. Unfortunately if you're especially flexible down there (or just unlucky) this can cause extreme pain. I now walk with a walking frame, live in a maternity belt and yes - turning over in bed is probably the most painful thing. Sleeping with a pillow between the legs is essential to try to keep some alignment in the hips; heat packs; ice packs; panadol - nothing gets rid of it. Lying on the couch doing as little as possible is what my doctor ordered. I've also found hydrotherapy classes run by antenatal physios to be of some relief.
    Good luck!

:shock: :shock: Oh my lord!! It's so bad you need a walking frame???

I'm only 15 weeks!!! Kill me now

I was looking on the internet and hoping it was just round ligament pain or something [-o<

angelique Guest

Hi there,

I have this problem as well. Gosh, I was praying it would not get worse!! I guess will have to see what happens!!

A walking frame sounds terrible. I feel for you sweetheart

Round ligament pain is usually in your abs area... the groin area pain is as everyone has said, caused by relaxin. Althoug my physio said some people get varicose vein probs there thru preg also!

Hope it doesn't get too bad for you. I had it mildly - only really bothered me when walking on uneven surfaces like the beach.

ponsito Guest

Yep - a walking frame. Oh well. Now that I've bitten the bullet and accepted that there is very little I can do about this situation, it's just a matter of grin and bear it.

I did find a fabulous women's health physio who hopes to give me some relief so I suggest anyone try that too.

And who knows, maybe you girls won't get it as bad as what I have (hopefully!). I apparently have what's known as hypermobility syndrome, meaning my ligaments were already very felxible before the relaxin got to them. Unless you're a gymnast or just unlucky like me, you might get better or stay the same. Here's hoping.

Ponsito - where in Adelaide are you? I went to a great aqua class for pregnancy from 12 weeks until ds was born and every weeks I felt so much better after the class. It's run by a physio and is a wonderful class. If you'd like the details send me a pm or an email.