Thread: I need some sympathy - it hurts! (tmi?)

Red face I need some sympathy - it hurts! (tmi?)

I have had really ugly varicose veins on my one leg since I was a teenager. I've learned to live with them, and I've been really thankful that they don't give me any pain, for the most part. However, there's a whole new type of varicose vein that I am learning about first hand. The vaginal varicose vein. They REALLY HURT!!! And I can't complain about them to anyone but you guys. It's just not the sort of thing you discuss over tea. Seriously, when I stand up in the morning, the general aching and pressure in my whole pelvic area is really painful. And the nasty veins down there feel like they're ready to pop.
    So, who else is experiencing this joyous side effect of pregnancy? Do they get worse with each baby? Can we have a pity party together, please?

My aunt had those when she was pregnant. She shared... we gave sympathy. Her husband looked embarrassed but was still sympathetic.

She used some kind of support pantyhose. She said it helped, although it was really hot. She also had some fancy system of pillows. I don't know whether that was for the veins or the weight of the bump.

This was a long time ago, mind you. The main offender, my cousin, is in year 12 now! Surely there's been some developments in helping relieve this?

Oh, and HUGE sympathy from me! I am selfishly crossing my fingers, toes and legs hoping that I don't get it!

Sounds like the ligament, actually. You sure it's not SPD (symphisis pubis dysfunction)? It feels like a pulling from the groin area - I describe it as a sledgehammer up the middle, or landing astride a big rock from a great height. Ouchies. If it is, don't go to a physio, they'll just make it worse (in general. I saw about 3 or 4 and was bad until I eventually gave up and saw an osteo - who DIDN'T cause me pain!), see an osteo, then, when it settles down a bit, I'd recommend some yoga to keep the area aligned. Yoga has helped me keep the monster in check!

I have heard of this but haven't experienced first hand. You still have my sympathy.

As a releif measure try buying a kids pool ring. I bought my mum one recently for $3 from dollars & sense. She had bed sores or something from being in hosp and said it helped heaps so she wasn't actually putting pressure on the area.

I think the general area feels swollen but dh says it looks normal. It's sore when i sit for ages but helps if i put my feet up on another chair not sure why. something to do with bloodflow i would imagine.

You have all my sympathy darl as I am experiencing exactly the same thing and OMG how b!oody painful is it!!!
    I'm going to steal any tips you get. I've still got 10 weeks to go, 6 of those working on my feet.
    Lets hope they ease up for us both real soon.
    Are you scared how it is going to feel giving birth? I'm really scared of the pressure. Fingers crossed we can get them sorted out before your labour.

Cricket....i have them too....and yes, i do find them worse with each pregnancy (#4 for me). I feel like i have a doodle or something b/w my legs.........
    After birth ive found they just 'vanish'......

My V V on my legs are heaps more prominent this pregnancy too. Sometimes they cause me pain if ive been on my legs for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaness View Post
    Sounds like the ligament, actually. You sure it's not SPD (symphisis pubis dysfunction)?
    Mayaness, I think it's both actually. I've definitely got one or possibly two veins that have popped down there, but there is also the whole aching pelvis thing that might be SPD.

Anyways, thanks so much for the sympathies ladies. It's nice to be able to share with someone! I am going to try sleeping with the pillow between my knees - sounds like that's supposed to be good for pretty much every ache of pregnancy. (what, a sore back? try a pillow!... what, aching hips? try a pillow!... what, bad veins? try a pillow! what, teeth falling out? try a pillow!) OK, seriously though, I will try the pillow! It certainly can't hurt!

And I may even succumb to the support hose. By the time I have this baby, it will be the height of summer here, so support hose don't sound too appealing. But if it helps the pain, it'll be worth it.

Oh - Nurse Dan - I had these veins a little bit with my last pregnancy. I was worried about them in labour then - thought they might pop or something! But they were fine actually. I don't remember them giving me any trouble during labour. Maybe I was just too distracted....

If anyone else has some suggestions, let me hear them! Or if you also just need some sympathy, come on in!

That's so strange- I had the same pain with DD but didn't know what it was. I just assumed it was a pregnancy thing so just suffered. and I read your post on sciatica pain and lordy, I had that too but knew what it was after lots of Dr Google! I didn't add to the sciatic thread as you are dealing with that by the sounds of things but this vein/ligament thing made it really sore for me to walk (combined with sciatica) and the only thing that healed them both was giving birth. Yes, you have all my sympathy! Did you not have the smae issues with your other darlings? Or is this the first time?

Hi Cricket
    Don’t knock the support hose they can really help. If you are worried about the heat just cut the legs off them. Another idea is to wear support undies (granny knickers) and also wear a large maternity pad. Ice can also help. Fill some condoms with water and freeze them put one of these inside the pad.

Hey Alan! Thanks for popping in! Can I really just cut off the bottoms of the support hose? I thought that might make the problem worse. Hmmm.... I don't wear shorts in the summer anyways, (thanks to these ugly veins) so if I got some, and cut them off to the length of my capris, then that might be a great solution. I'll give it a shot anyways!
    And having something cool on the area sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. I'll have to see what I can come up with.
    Thanks!

Ah Alan you are a champ. I'm wearing knee hi support stocking for my VV on my legs but didn't even think of wearing them up a bit higher for support there, d'oh! Oh damn pregnancy brain!