Thread: I'd like to discuss my checkup...

Default I'd like to discuss my checkup...

Hi Again Everyone!

I had my 24 week checkup today and there are just a few things that I want to discuss but I got no one at home to talk about it!!

Alright, I will start off with my blood pressure. At my 20 wk checkup blood pressure was at 120/60. Today it has gone up to 130/70. My doc is not too concerned, he says it is still in the safe range. What isnt a safe range? My mum was telling me on the weekend that she had high blood pressure with my sister, is there a greater chance of me getting high blood pressure or should I not compare myself to my mum?

Next is the weight checks!! I'll give you a little info about me. I am 172cm tall and before getting pg I weighed 71.5kg and was going to the gym regularily. I dont remember how much my first weigh in was at the docs, but I know that his scales are about 1.5kg more than mine and I have my checkups in the arvo. So lets say that I was 74-75kg. Today my weight was 86.5kg (at home I was 85kg) and he said that I am gaining weight quite quickly!! Now what I am thinking is that I go and have my checkups in the afternoon after all my eating and drinking litres of water and I am fully clothed with shoes and wearing different stuff at each checkup. So how accurate is my weight gain? Have I gained too much by 24 wks?! How much could be due to fluid retention? There is just so many thoughts going through my head. I eat healthy about 70% of the time and I exercise and am fairly active, so I thought that my weight gain was great, plus you can see that I have gained the weight either.. I know that I shouldnt get hung up on my weight cause I am pg after all but the mind just keeps on thinking...

So.. what do you think?

Hi Ngala

A high blood pressure reading depends somewhat on your BP before you got pregnant. But as a guide 140/85 is as high as we would like it to go. Donít forget that it is very common for your BP to go up a little when getting a check up. When I used to do antenatal clinics the BP was the last thing I would check. This gives mum a bit more time to relax.

A lot of places no longer bother with the weight. The only thing that it does is to cause anxiety. Women gain weight at different rates and at different times during pregnancy. And as you have pointed out your weight will vary depending on the time of day and what you are wearing.

oh veronica, relax babe!

Firstly, your bp is fine..and please dont compare yourself to others. Everyone's pregnancy is so different, and if your doc isn't worried, you shouldn't be either

As for the weight gain, I dont think it really matters if you always get weighed in the arvo. Some people dont put on weight while being pregnant (me!) and others put on up to and including 35 kilos...both are ok!

Dont stress yourself babe, just relax and enjoy your pregnancy...soon it will be all over!

Oh yeh, I better relax - gotta keep that BP down!!

I think my BP was around the normal range before getting pg. I never really paid much attention to BP before getting pg! And my BP is the first thing that the doc will measure after the initial chat about how I am going.

Danni - but what if I dont want it to be over?! What if I want to be 24wks forever. I am loving being pg and having my lil girl move around in me..

i wanna be pregnant forever too--- but i wanna have junior here too!!