Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Induction - what to expect?

Default Induction - what to expect?

Hi Lovelies,

Ok, today is my EDD and Bubbles has no intention of making an entry anytime soon. Had an Ob appointment this morning and have been booked for induction next week (gels on Wed and drip on Thurs if gel doesn't work). Even though I kind of knew this would happen, I don't really know what to expect. And I don't feel mentally prepared. Can someone tell me what to expect and any tips for coping mentally? Hopefully I will go before then but I want to be prepared...

Thanks

MG

Hi MG

I had an induction last april. I din't find out till the day before so had no time to mentally prepare myself lol. I din't have the gel, my cervix was "favourable" and they ruptured my membranes and then about half an hour later i had the drip. They started it really low and went up slowly, so I didn't find it too bad and the contractions didn't start immediately. They need to monitor you, but i was still able to walk around and have a shower, they just put the monitor on at intervals, so don't let them tell you that it has to be continuous.
    I had my membranes ruptured at about 9:30am, drip about 10ish, was in established (but easy to handle) labour at 12ish and had abbey at 5:20pm after half an hour of pushing. I had no drugs, just concentrated on breathing calmly through my contractions.
    Abbey had a shoulder dystocia, which was quickly fixed, and she was 9lb6oz. The only thing i wouldve done differently was to have had her standing or kneeling, but I was too damn tired, literally falling asleep between pushing. I was told that standing probably wouldve prevented the shoulder dystocia.

I think if you go in with an open mind, try not to think that an induced labour will be more painful and just focus on the fantastic reward at the end and you will be fine.

Good Luck with everything!

P.S. I tried everything to go into labour naturally, walking, castor oil, dtd, curries etc etc none of it worked. I

Hey sweet,

Just wanted to give you a big hug. Good luck with whatever happens and gazillions of labour vibes coming your way.

Thanks Amanda! I hadn't even thought about the monitoring - I will have to make sure I talk to the midwife about it when I go in for monitoring on Sunday and to my Ob on Wed night... My philosophy all along has been to "go with the flow" but I still want to be mentally prepared... Hopefully they will increase my drip slowly...

Funny you mention about all the alternatives for bringing on labour - I joked to my Ob this morning that we will have the baby Tues night/Wed morning now because it seems the only surefire way to "encourage" labour is to be booked in for an induction!

Love MG

P.S. Love the name Abbey! That's what we have picked for a girl if we have a girl!

ETA: Thanks Nat and Fletch. Thanks for the warning Fletch I will be sure to tell my Ob to avoid gel to skin contact! Will have to try every method I can think of to get things moving before then!
    Last edited by Mother Goose; February 15th, 2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Missed a few posts!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by amanda_81 View Post
    Hi MG

I had an induction last april. I din't find out till the day before so had no time to mentally prepare myself lol. I din't have the gel, my cervix was "favourable" and they ruptured my membranes and then about half an hour later i had the drip. They started it really low and went up slowly, so I didn't find it too bad and the contractions didn't start immediately. They need to monitor you, but i was still able to walk around and have a shower, they just put the monitor on at intervals, so don't let them tell you that it has to be continuous.
    I had my membranes ruptured at about 9:30am, drip about 10ish, was in established (but easy to handle) labour at 12ish and had abbey at 5:20pm after half an hour of pushing. I had no drugs, just concentrated on breathing calmly through my contractions.
    Abbey had a shoulder dystocia, which was quickly fixed, and she was 9lb6oz. The only thing i wouldve done differently was to have had her standing or kneeling, but I was too damn tired, literally falling asleep between pushing. I was told that standing probably wouldve prevented the shoulder dystocia.

I think if you go in with an open mind, try not to think that an induced labour will be more painful and just focus on the fantastic reward at the end and you will be fine.

Good Luck with everything!

P.S. I tried everything to go into labour naturally, walking, castor oil, dtd, curries etc etc none of it worked. I
    MG: I would second this completely. If the induction is done progressively and the drip is slowly turned up it is manageable and quite doable without drugs.

Inductions, don't always have to have a negative experience hun, so keep an open mind and focus on your breathing!

Goodluck babe!

Hi MG
    Unfortunately i had a bad induction experience but follow the other girls advise and ask for it to be done slowly.
    I guess everyone reacts differently to the gels etc.. i was actually on a trial for a new drug so i am not sure if i had the gels or the new one they were trailing which was a drink.
    I will definately be pushing very hard NOT to be induced this time though but I am sure that everyone has different experience and it was good for me to read about the others just in case...
    All the best and here is sending lots of labour vibes your way so hopefully you wont have to find out !

MG
    I useed to have some info on inductions I stole frome smoewhere if I can find it do you want me to email it to you?

A question please. I heard this term the other day, Stretch and Sweep. Sounds abit scary - can someone, if poss, explain roughly what it is. I have horrid visions as to what it is all about !

Thanks MG I like the name too! I forgot to mention that I also had two stretch and sweeps one the day before and one two days before that. And I am pretty sure that once my contractions were established they stopped the drip so my labour could progress as natuarlly as possible from then.

Mum2bee.. A stretch and sweep is when they feel your cervix, stretch it a little and sweep there finger around the membranes. Its used to hopefully get things all ready and started. Thats my understanding anyway. I had two the first with a male doctor and while it was uncomfortable it wasn't too bad but the second with this little female asian doctor who was so rough i had tears from the pain. I bet if she tried doing that to herself she wouldn't be as rough to others lol

Alan that would be great if you don't mind? Do you still have my email? it's natashadATinternodeDOTonDOTnet I really appreciate it!

Jane - I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I am just compiling some things to talk to my Ob about it now and asking for it to be done slowly is at the top of my list!!!!!!

MG

Thanks Amanda - what i had pictured was similar, my vision was much worse - must be because i associated the word SWEEP with a broom - i was thinking big things in little spots.
    MG - if you dont mind me asking, how come they are inducing you, and not letting you go over. I was under the impression that letting you go over was the norm. The reason i ask is that i think i may end up being induced, provided cervic ok, for 2 reasons, neither of them medical.

Not at all Mum2bee, I will be 7 days over when they do the drip. My Ob won't let me go the normal 10 days because of my BP and edema (swelling). Also, the booking has been done to "secure" me a spot (they are having difficulty booking inductions at one of her hospitals - not mine thank goodness!) although I could still go naturally before then (fingers crossed!)

MG

MG - I think there was a similar thread when Emma (?? from memory) was induced... there was some pretty good advice in there about what to expect, how to prepare yourself..

I'll have a look later and see if i can find it for you

MG, break out the EPO hun. Hopefully that will get your cervix even more favorable. Might even be just the extra bit you need to get things happening.

PMSL, I just realised how often lately I have been recommending the miracle oils

Hi MG,
    I posted in the belly buddies thread, but i forgot to say EPO is evening primrose oil. LOL preggo brain for me!
    Love Jen

Hey MG,

Check out this thread and this one also

Thank Yael - I had a read of those threads. I can feel myself getting pretty stressed about it now! I'm going have to get right into my relaxation!

Trish - where can I get EPO from?

MG - thanks for that - if i had read your original post properly, would of answered my question for me! I read it that you where being induced on your EDD...oops. Thanks for answering question thou.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast