Thread: Instructions on strep B swab?

Default Instructions on strep B swab?

Hey there,

Can anyone tell me how you are supposed to do these strep B swabs yourself?

I was given one to take home and take back to pathology, but I can't remember or don't know if I was told what to do.

Do you just swab the outside of the vagina or have to um dip? And TMI...does it involve the anus?

Sorry, this is a TMI question, I just found it today in my bag and I was supposed to do it a week ago, so I thought I better do it and take it to path tomorrow...I just don't know what to do with that long stick thing, it looks scary

Just like inserting a tampon Tara. I don't know if you're supposed to touch the anal area though?

I have had a midwife do mine, but from memory, yup, like a tampon...slide it up, but not around the anus area....

Hmmm...I was sure the GP said to do an anus dip too (ewwww). Might ring the hospital and see what they say, GP might be a bit outdated on it.

I was sure it was just a vaginal thing too, but I haven't had it done before

thanks for the replies!

i had to do the swab myself... it was like the big huge cotton bud thing, and i was told to insert it about half a finger length into my vagina and swivel it gently, lol.
    no anus involved though.

Different places want different things. Some want just the vagina, some want vagina and the skin between vagina and anus, some want the lot. It would be best to check with the hospital.