Thread: Internal Ultrasound question

Default Internal Ultrasound question

Hi,
    I was wondering if an internal u/s is routinely done during the first trimester or not. I have heard that some people don't see their OB until 12 weeks (when they have their first scan) and others see their OB at about 8weeks (or sooner) for internal u/s and was wondering who knows what is the norm.
    Is is dependent on which OB you choose maybe??

TIA!

For both pregnancies I have only had external. I didn't even have a blood test to confirm this pregnancy, so the first actual "proof" that I was pregnant was at the 12 week u/s (where I turned out to be 13 weeks). Just personally, the less going inside the better, I just don't like to disturb growing bub!
    xoxo

Custardtart Guest

If you have a tilted uterus (one which angles towards the back instead of the front) then very often they can't pick up the baby with an external US in the first trimester and have to use an internal one to get a good scan.
    This generally has no effect on the pregnancy, it's just a bit annoying and invasive - I had to have internals done with all three pregnancies in the first tri.

With regards to when you see your obstetrician for the first appointment, a lot has to do with where you want to have your child. Some of the private hospitals in the larger cities have limited places, so you need to be booking in at six weeks to be certain of a place, and only your ob can book you in which explains why some women rush to get that first appointment in.

Kerrie

With Olivia I had an internal at 7 weeks becasue I had had a previous missed miscarriage, so my OB and I wanted the peace of mind that comes with an early u/s.

With this pregnancy, same thing, he offered me an early one and I gladly took the opportunity!

The internal one gives a very clear picture and whilst is not particularly dignified, is not uncomfortable or apinful or anything.....the probe is only the size of a pen!

I had a two minute external u/s at 12w just to make sure everything was ok, but had my first proper one at 18w. So I guess it really varies.

Melinda Guest

I have a retroverted uterus, so it's difficult to see things. As a result, I had internal scans up until 12w (I had regular scans based on my history of m/c). As Lucy said, they're not the most wonderful of things, but they do provide a very clear picture.

i had a 'mini' US in the OB office at about 9 weeks.

i have heard that the earlier they do an US the more accurate they are at determining your dates, because there is so much development in the first tri. so i guess that is an advantage to an early one, your dates should then be really accurate,

Linda

With my 1st I had an internal u/s done becuase it was early (5 weeks)

With my 2nd I didn't have an internal becuase I was already 7 weeks by the time I got in.

I think it all depends on how early you're having an u/s and if there s any reason to warrant urgently needing to know if theres aything up in there early on in the pg.

With my last pg I had a internal u/s due to having a previous missed m/c, this was my choice and I just asked my gp to give me a referal. MY OB doesn't do u/s. With this pg I plan on having another 7 week u/s, but with my 12 week u/s it will be external, unless bubs won't co-operate.

With any IVF pg, you have an early u/s at 6.5 weeks since LMP. It's an internal one 8-[ basically to check that all is ok etc.

I'm sure that you can request any early one if you wish.

I've had 1 U/S so far (another one due next weekend) and it was an external one at 9wks.

My first u/s was done at 6w3d, and it was an external one. The sonographer though she would have to give me an internal one because I was less than 8w gestation, however we were able to see the heart beating with just the external u/s.

I was abit nervous about Internal U/S as I'd never had one, but when I was M/carrying they did a few to see what was going on, they were not at all painful, or anything, basically I didn't really know anything as i was just looking at the screen..
    With this preg I had one at what we now know was 2 weeks, but it was to see if M/C had cleaned out everything!!!!

I will not be nervous at all about them again I think in 6 weeks I had 4!!!!

So if your worried don't be they are very gentle & professional about it!

Sal Guest

Hi there, I really don't think an internal u/s is a big deal - I mean you've had bigger things inside of you to fall pg LOL. Having had fertility investigations and treatments, I am a veteran of the internal u/s and they don't hurt at all, plus you're covered by a sheet so not even that undignified.

I had an u/s when I was 6w0d and was expecting it to be an internal, but like Ambah the sonographer had no trouble finding the heartbeat and other stuff with an external.