Thread: Just a small Question..

Question Just a small Question..

Hello!

Just got a small question about why Eucalyptus Oil should be avoided during pregnancy?? Some sites so avoid it other sites say its OK, no sites say why to avoid it!!

Pretty much my DP thinks he might have head lice (eek - he has dreadies too!!) so I went to the chemist and bought some natural stuff that has 7% eucalyptus oil and of course I needed to put it in his hair. We were in a well ventilatored room and I washed my hands right afterwards.

I should be right shouldnt I?!

babymuddle Guest

that sould be fine. maybe if your wore gloves you would be doubly sure it's fine

Gloves are a great idea!! I will need to do it again in 7 days so I will get the gloves.

I only remembered after getting started that I should avoid it. lol

Yeah when i was pg with DD the chemist said it was fine to have in pregnancy.. i use to have it in my vaporiser (sp?)

I did a similar thing before remembering that I should apparently be avoiding it...DH had a cold and was really stuffed up so I made a Eucalyptus oil steam thingy for him to put his head over with a towel over his head...I think it's the "essential" oil that you're supposed to avoid, however I don't know why either.

Both my girls have had lice this year (for the first time ever!!!) and the pharmacist advised I use MOOV which does contain some eucalyptus oil, but I used gloves and had the fan on the whole time. So far, we have had to use it 3 times (3 for each child) and I am fine, bubs is fine.

Another thing you can use for lice is hair conditioner
    Just get the cheap stuff put loads of it in the hair this stuns the lice you can then use a fine toothed comb to remove them and the eggs. Redo in 2 days and again in another 2 days.

but if her man has dreads there is no combing!!! i actually had this happen to me (work in childcare) and i did have dreads... sad to say but the reality is he will have to get rid of them coz although u can kill the lice u can't comb the eggs out and he will never be rid of them otherwise i combed my dreads out.. in an agonising 30 hours over two days but otherwise it might be shave the head time... sorry to bring such bad news coz if he is anything like i was he loves his dreads

Does anyone know why not??? Ive been using it for cleaning lately eg. mopping floors, benches, getting sticky marks off things, dusting. (as ive been nesting for the past couple of weeks)

Simone

Sorry got off the track. Yes its fine to use

Thats a relief, lol!

Nonie - Yes I know that the hair will probably need to be cut off! Which I was upset about at first because I have spent so much time on them, but it would be the only way to get rid of the lice. I am lucky (I think!) lice dont like my hair!! How'd you comb your dreads out?? I think the one thing I am not looking forward to is DP with a shaven head!

I didnt know you could comb them out, I would imagine it would be rather painful headache wise?? I remember when DH had dreads, they smelt like hamburgers!! HAHA!
    Oops im not much help on this thread am I?
    Maybe take him to a hairdresser and see what they can do?

its really painfull and u pull alot of hair out but basically its one by one and u start brushing the dread at the bottom and untangling it with ur hands if u can basically bit by bit it becomes untangled (use lots of leave in conditioner and treatments coz the hair will be really damaged and ouchy) it takes alot of perserverance and i lost like a shopping bag full of hair lol coz when ur brushing it heaps comes out and it seems like u wont have any left but u do lol....
    some ppl find if their dreads are really tight u needa cut it at the bottom and it kinda opens up a little so u can start the brushing... the hair is really unhealthy and nasty looking afterwards but if u keep conditioning it and looking after it it comes good mine did and i didn't cut it at all... good luck if u give it a go!!

I might run this past DP and see what he says. Could be worth the pain if he doesnt want to chop it all off! I am guessing a heavy duty comb would be needed?!
    After you have combed the dreads out, did you treat your hair for lice?

Hairdressers won't usually touch hair with lice or want you in their store with other customers so you would need to get a friend to do it or shave it yourself probably

yeah i used a brush and a metal toothed comb... afterwards i def treated for lice again i did it like ten times i hate lice lol lol!!! but the point was that in a week or so after lots of treatments and conditioning i could get a headlice comb through it (a strong one metal also) so at that point i treated it again for the lice and was able to make sure there were no eggies!!!