Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kebabs??

I think it'd be fine Ren cause it's hot. I wouldn't eat it after it cooled down though.

I ate a kebab for lunch yesterday. And omg, it was soo good. Just as well, since I'm now not going to have another UNTIL 2009! I did feel sick after it, but probably because I got a large, and not a small (yes, I am a pig!). It had lamb, lettuce, tomato, and cheese, so I was naughty on all fronts it appears, and did not get the people to cook it on the grill either.
    I do feel better about the red rooster though, had that the other day. Oh, I eat so badly in this pg! Everything I want is take away. Friday I had a spring roll and hot chips, which somehow cut all the roof of my mouth. Serves me right I guess.
    And subway?!? Now I don't get to have an italian whatever it is until 2009 either! (The one with ham, hot salami and some other meat in it).
    The things we do for our children, ai?

I reckon as long as we all eat relatively healthy every day and allow ourselves some junk food once a week (or twice ) then we're fine...... we can only do the best we can.... no point being worried all the time about what we put in our mouths as it will only stress us out.
    For me, I will strongly avoid deli meats, sushi, soft cheeses, fresh seafood and anything that's been sitting out too long or not cooked hot enough

Tegan, thanks

I hate them with my last 2 pregnancies and never got sick. Subway i avoid simply because i dont like anything other then their cookies! Red Rooster...Renstar...you got me hooked at that now...!!

I think at the end of the day...if we followed all the dont eats...we wouldnt eat anything for 9 months!

But thats me, and if anything was to go wrong its no ones fault but my own. In saying that, i dont go out and eat everything you not ment to. I dont eat deli meats and most seafood. I do have maccas shakes, coffee etc, all in moderation however!

i had one for lunch today and didnt think twice LOL
    i also had sushi rolls last week , i go by the fact that if doesnt look fresh i wont eat it , usually with shushi rolls i ask when they were made ...

while eating them i think ... what if its contamiated .... but that thought quickly fades when i know its fresh enough ... its my own cooking im more scared of !!

mmmm subway cookies

I was talking to the Man about this thread yesterday, and he mentioned another fast food that I didn't think of. McDonalds. ALL of their patties and chicken, etc, is cooked OFF-SITE, put into warmer trays, and transported to each restaurant in the warmers where they are kept hot until they 'make' your burger fresh (Pay attention in their ads, they say "make" not "cook"). So, if we shouldn't have kebabs, subway, and other foods that 'sit', we should avoid McDonalds too. He also said that Red Rooster is pre cooked before it gets to the store.

Just a quickie re salad sandwiches etc ....

in my last preg/angel - I had a salad wrap, made fresh, from a shop whose owner I know well. I did contract food posioning - more susceptible we are as well when pregnant - I was sick for 2 days with full on vomiting - that was at 9 weeks and bubs died at 11.

Whislt of course my carers would not say that was the reason, we have discussed that it was a high possibility.

So, pleeeease be careful - I know you say but I ate ABC last time and everything is fine - but seriously, if something happened - how would you live with it?

i suppose I feel much stronger about this after having a couple of losses and don't want to jeopardise anything willfully.

I have super cravings for slushies and there are two schools of thought I have learnt - YES because it is not dairy like soft serve and the concern there is the bacteria and NO because of the machines and they do not get completely empties and cleaned regularly. So, I have gone with the NO - just in case .....

Hope that helps someone

Matryoshka Guest

I would stay away from sushi, not only for the contamination with raw fish but cool or cold rice is a huge listeria risk, has been discussed in lots of threads before.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Stay away from red rooster as I used to love the rooster rolls and craved them heaps but found out they are made 3 days before hand with chicken and the refrigerated. and then microwaved!!!

Maccas do cook on site, i eat more maccas than any other takeaway as they have a much bigger turnover that others and throw thinsg out if not used in ceratin time frames.

I would be wary of anyone suggesting the McDonald's burgers are transported around the country warm...that I have a VERY hard time believing. cooked off site, defiantely possible, but getting HACCP approval for longhaul warm transport is highly unlikely.

Most people dont think about it but rice and pasta are actually very high risk foods, pregnant or not, due to the water content. Bacteria are present and grow where ever there is water, so be careful especially when reheating rice.

PeonyBlossom Guest

On the subject of kebabs, I am so craving them and almost gave in the other day but as to whether or not they are "safe" I can't comment. I do know, however, in WA the health department have started a name and shame list of food outlets who repeatedly breach and have been subsequently fined for health violations and subway is one of them. Especially one in a busy food court for having selling adulterated food (which I am assuming is mould?) Anyway here is the link and the one afterwards shows further food outlets of "interest"

Website to name and shame health-breach restaurants | PerthNow

Environmental Health Directorate

Also, I went out for my birthday to a very expensive, well respected restaurant and got the worst case of food poisoning I have ever had (I remember being in my bathroom thinking "now I know how people can die from food poisoning"). I basically spent the whole night in the bathroom and then laying down with gross spew hair because I just didn't care if I died right there and then. It was awful. I rang the health dept. the next day and got my money back but it just goes to show, it's not just dodgy kebab shops that can make you sick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12