Thread: Labour 2nd time round

Default Labour 2nd time round

hey there ladies just wondering if any of you can tell me is it true that second time round the labour is quicker and easier? I really do have my fingers crossed LOL

Smile

My first labour was horrible from waters breaking 18 and 3/4 hours about 30 hours all up but my second was just under 4 hours from first twinge to placenta out. My girlfriend was just under 4 hours for her first and 1hour 55 minutes for her second 6 weeks ago. So based on that I'd say yes but everyones different!
    I'm praying that the 3rd ones quicker again! LOL
    Snoopea

Mine definatly was quicker, my first labout was 16 hours, my second was 5 hours from first contraction to birth. As for easier, I am not sure that Labour and Easy go in the same sentence well together, however I coped much better, stayed upright and mobile for most of it and delievered on my knees on the bed, as apposed to having an epi, and being on my back in stirrups for the delievery.

I like you am hoping for a shorter labour this time round. First time was 12 hours and through the night so im desperately hoping for a day labour (will be easier to get into the hospital as well)

Sister #1 had a 7 hrs labour followed by a 3 hr labour
    Sister #2 had a 23hr labour followed by a 4 hr labour.
    Sister #3 had 2 emergency C-sections both labours lasted over 24hrs but from memory the 2nd one was longer.

So stats are def in our favour (the birth canal has already been stretched, lol)

lol oh crap!
    i had a 2 hour labour with DD... mmmm might not make it (again)

It's so interesting isn't it, and such a relief to know it won't last as long lol I told dh that if all labours were say about an hour long we would probably have ten kids lol

DD1 was 10 hours 25 mins
    DD2 was 6 hours 6 mins

Labour was easier first time but had problems (vac extraction) but 2nd time was more ouchy but unassisted and i loved it 100 times more, but longer recovery stitches wise.

With DS I had a 4 hour labour and with DD I only just made it to the hospital!!

I was in labour for about an hour and she came very quickly!! It was good to get it over with but the pain was a lot more intense!!

PinkPalace, that is my fear if I go for a third... Im scared i wont make it!

Good luck with everything!

Oh god I hope its quicker 2nd time round!

Brianna, of course there are no guarantees. But generally speaking it will be quicker and easier as you have done it before, your body knows what to do. And a cervix which has dilated before can dilate again more easily.

However, I think the main reason why my second labour was so much better, was because of what I learnt from my first one. I wasn't prepared enough, I didn't know enough. I made a poor decision (to have an epidural) because of what I didn't know. And that led to the cascade of interventions that resulted in a tear and episiotomy, and some other side effects which I attribute to pushing under the effects of an epidural and a forceps delivery and will have to live with forever. Because of that, I did a lot of reading and preparation second time round. I read New Active Birth and was able to labour in a relatively comfortable position, which enhanced labour, and contributed to a 3 hour labour and "easy" complication free delivery.

So I think that the odds are certainly with you that it will be easier. But you can put the odds even more in your favour with what you do before then.

I am also hoping, no praying for a quicker second labour. My first was 20 something hours, and I am not looking forward to the prospect of having to do it all again.
    Thanks for the reminder about New Active Birth, I will try to track it down for myself.

My first, from waters breaking was 18 1/2 hours.
    My second from first contraction was 30 hours.
    My third was 5 hours from first contraction.

Every labour is different though. My waters broke first with DD1. They had to break them right at the end with DD2 & they broke about half way through with DS.

With DD1 things started & progressed really slowly through out the day.
    With DD2 I had about 20 hours of 'pre' labour contractions. Irregular, but still painful! Then 10 hours of full on Labour.
    DS was 5 hours hard & fast! DH only just made it. We thought we would have heaps of time for him to make the 2 hour trip! Since neither of my other labours were particularly fast.

Mmmmmm.... don't be so sure hun, with DD I went to hospital and was already 7cms dialated and didn't even know I was in labour, waters didn't break and no pain, within a hour I was 10cms and pushing so in 4 hours she was born at 35wks and 5 days....

DS on the other hand I went into hospital 1 cm dialated and in extreme pain, labour contractions one on top of the other for GET READY 14 hrs, so it isn't always quicker.... Sorry to burst the 2nd labour quick bubble.... ooopppsss LOL Oh and born 35wks and 5 days too. weird...

I can only hope, pray, wish that my second labour will be easier like many of you have experienced. Can labour really get longer than 36 hours?!?!? And don't tell me yes, just let me think it can only get easier please!!!