Thread: large women's choice of hospitals in melbourne

Default large women's choice of hospitals in melbourne

Hey Guys,

I am a bit worried about when I do finally conceive as to where I will be having my baby.

I live in the western suburbs of Mrlbourne in Hillside/Sydenham.

My sister had her babys at the Werribee Mercy which I thought is fantastic but "apparently" they dont take pregnant women over 100kg.

I am 105kg now and cant imagine what i will be at full term. I have also heard that bacchus marsh hospital wont take you either.

I would never consider footscray hospital as it is horrible in my opinion and sunshine is ok, but id prefer a bit more luxury.

Do i have any other option but to venture to the city? Do the city hospitals have weight requirements too?

Too bad if im in labour during peak hour!!!

hope to hear your opinions

Debbie Lee Guest

Danni - have you considered Geelong hospital? They have excellent facilities and, as far as I know, they don't discriminate against large women (as I feel the hospitals that refuse women over 100kgs are doing). I was 110kgs when I had Gabby and there was no mention of care being refused. In fact, it was barely an issue! I know it's quite a drive but, for peace of mind, it may be an option?

Debbie Lee Guest

Especially when you consider that 100kgs is generally about a size 18. Most women in Australia are between size 14-18 - so, in effect, those hospitals are discriminating against the "norm".

Kirsty77 Guest

OMG!I can't beleive that they have a weight limit!That is so wrong! So what happens if the nearest hospital has the weight limit and you go into labour!?I seriously think they need to rethink their policies.

Well their argument is that they are smaller hospitals that deal with "low risk" pregnancies.

They claim that if you are over 100kgs, you pose as a high risk pregnancy and they claim they do not have the doctors nor the resources to help you should something go wrong....so then they would have to ship you to one of the big hospitas anyway.

So they are doing themselves a favour by saying dont come at here at all, you may as well go straight there.

it is horrible...like kirsty said, looks like i have to go to a hospital in the city and if it is peak hour it may be a back seat birth!

I think they argue that they don't have fully functioning SCN (level 1), to deal with complications. There is some loop hole, makes you angry though, because you are bigger doesn't always = complications. There was a girl that was on ACA last year with the same problem at Werribee.
    Bec

kirsty Guest

I am a bigger girl (over 100kg even when not pg), I live in a smallish town/city & my hospital has never mentioned my weight as a concern. Only a level 3 care nursery in my hospital.

My first pg saw my waters break at 31wks where I was sent to Monash Medical Centre in Clayton (again no mention of my weight) where I ended up having an emergency c-section at 32wks (no idea of exact weight at time of c-section but would have been 120+kg) I didn't have any problems & wasn't told of any complications that could have occured that would have been caused by my weight.

Again while pg this time my weight is over 115kgs so far & again no mention of my weight in regards to my birth plans has been made. My Dr's only concern is in regards to my BP, so the plan is to try & not put on too much weight to try & keep my BP as stable as possible for as long as possible.

Hope you find some options to help you out.

mizzsocial Guest

Hey, im from Hillside too

Anyways, i had my son at BacchusMarsh, and yes they do have a "weight limit" thats why they always weighed me..even when i was in labor they weighed me!!

Now im going to Sushine hospital to have this baby, and it may not look all that great, but the care there is fantastic, and the midwives are great!

Good luck with TTC and choosing a hospital

Debbie Lee Guest

I have heard from others that Sunshine Hospital is really good... I think the person that told me was really surprised...

~Sarah~ Guest

I have just read this thread and let me just say I'm disgusted! That is a ridiculous notion....a weight limit. Is it because of the complications being large can cause? Hello....it's a hospital....Geepers I am 174cm tall and was only 52kg at wk 4(not any more, stacked on 10 kg so far lol) ...so what are they going to say I'm too thin? My girlfriend is 120kg and I can tell you that if I ever heard of her being discriminated against like that I'd be marching down there to give them all a big slap!

hehehe thanks sarah u gave me a giggle

i wish i hadn't have cancelled my private health insurance as i really do not have many options at all

unless i lose 30 kilos ](*,)