Thread: leaking waters

Default leaking waters

Hey there,

I'm 15 weeks along and have had two fluid leaks in the last three weeks.

Today the doctor confirmed it was a leak in my hind waters.

He didnt' say much except I should stop work until my 20 week scan (I work a manual labour job) and not strain that area at all.

I'm scared, but also he didn't seem to concerned about it. As long as I stopped going to work.

Is this a really bad thing? Is the hind waters the same as the amniotic fluid?

I'm almost too scared to look it up, I've been sitting here a bit stunned since I got home.

Hi Tara,

I'm sorry I don't know anything about this but I just thought I would say hi and I am sure it will all be alright!

I don't know what your dr is like, I have only been for 1 dr appt so far (only 5w1d) but my dr told me how so many women miscarry so early and was really negative. As far as I've heard from other women their drs are quite negative with all the things that can happen. So I'm sure if there were a risk of anything bad happening your dr would have told you!

Just make sure you do what the dr said and stop work and I'm sure you'll be fine. Try not to stress, there is so much info on what can go wrong, it makes it seem like having a healthy baby is highly unlikely. But there are over 6 Billion people on this earth and everyone of them had to grow and be born. I am sure everything will be fine.

Tara

I had leaking hind waters from 34w with DS#2, Instead of your waters breaking, there's a little leak up the top. My dr said that most of the time they heal up. Im sure its nothing to worry about

Simone

Hi Tara!
    Rest rest rest! Do not over do anything. In answer to your question I think your hindwaters are the same as your amniotic fluid. But from what ive heard they can seal again. So take it easy and rest and relax.
    Try not to stress too much and if you are really worried seek out a second opinion.
    Jenni

Tara, don't know much about this but just sending you happy wishes. Also, sorry to jump on your post but how do you know you are leaking? Do you get a big splash of water or is it a slow leak? and how do you know the difference b/w leaking waters and not extra discharge like we can get? Does it smell or appear unusual? Sorry, probably TMI but just wondering as i wouldn't know the difference. ta.

Amniontic fluid smells like sperm. Well, thats what i thought anyway!! Yess, hind water leaks are still amniotic fluid, but it just leaks from a different place. Your membranes are still intact. Mine leaked for 3 weeks before i was eventually induced, but they can reseal. It is normally a slow leak, i had to wear a pad all the time, as every time i sneezed or coughed i would have a "mini" gush.

Tara
    A hind water leak is caused by a small tear high up in your membranes. This will cause some of your amniotic fluid to leak out. If the leak is small it will usually seal itís self but you need to rest. And by rest I mean do nothing at all. Lie on the lounge and watch TV. No shopping, No housework, just rest.

Thanks heaps everyone for your wishes, I'm sorry you had that experience Simone. *TMI* Rach, the first time I had a gush down my legs, the second time I had a slow leak over a day, I could feel it coming out, a bit like heavy AF. It smells sort of sweet. I haven't had anything like it in between that, so that's why doctor thinks it's waters not discharge. I still don't see how he can be saying this for sure, so I think I will go back tomorrow and ask some more questions.

Alan...how long total rest is usually recommended? The doctor said rest might not make a difference, but it's better to be safe. At this time of year, it's very bad for me to be having time off, and total rest just isn't really possible. If I have to, I'll work something out. I was mowing 6 lawns on Monday and Tuesday and lifting heavy things and working with heavy machinery, could have this caused it? I really appreciate your advice, thanks so much.

I'm just very confused.

pholmes Guest

Hi Tara,

my mother is a midwife and I thought I had an amnio leak with my second son. She told me to put a pad on so we could monitor how much is coming out (apparently thicker pads are better than thin ones for this as its harder to work out how much is leaking). She also told me that Amnio fluid smells like sperm. I told her I didnt know what she'd been doing but I hadnt really gone around smelling my husbands sperm! So if it smells like sperm it is probably amnio fluid. Mine turned out to be urine ( a relief but not a great thought either). From what I understand most small leaks seal themselves, but you should rest, I really dont think you should be mowing lawns and stuff. Go back and ask your Dr some more questions. Good luck with everything.

hmmmm after reading this i think i may have also had a leak.... it was several weeks ago now... i am 24 weeks, it may have been as long as 6 weeks ago.... it was a sudden gush of fluid down my leg, not a lot, but enough for me to notice and think 'this is weird'... i figured it was increased discharge, but it was extremely watery and not like discharge at all.... i have had maybe one other time since then where it has happened.... i never thought to mention it to my doctor, stupid me.

do u think i should mention it at my next appointment which is in a few weeks, or should i be seeing him sooner to discuss it.... given that i haven't noticed anything in a while maybe things have healed themsleves? i also have low lying placenta so have to be checked for placenta previa at 32 weeks, not sure if this may have impacted on it.

any advice would be much appreciated xx

Emma i would mention it to the DR next time you see him/her just so they know it's happened.

Tara
    You should rest until the leaking stops, usually a week or perhaps two, but a couple of days may be enough. And yes it may not make any difference but it may be just what you need and it often does help. If you can not rest then you should at least cut down on heavy physical work.