Thread: Leg Cramps

Cool Leg Cramps

Anyone else getting them? I'm being woken by them every morning, or if they don't wake me, when I stretch I get them. It's driving me batty.

My chiro asked me if I had been having any eye twitches as well (which I had) and said it is a lack of magnesium. I have bought some and they seemed to have stopped...

Hm, the magnesium thing is interesting...
    I feel for you - I do get them too, not every morning but sometimes I stretch and just forget and then BANG - the whole calf cramps up and I spring out of bed in a way that I never would have thought possible for a lady of my considerable size!
    Hope it settles down for you soon.

I got them last time, and they bloody hurt. I am still really careful about how I stretch my lgs in bed in case one cramps again!
    I think its a salt thing (magnesium/potassium) - so maybe upping banana's would help?

i've been getting them in just my right calf, every now & then. It really hurts!!
    Hmm bananas hey? I might have to get some...yum yum

I got them with my first pregnancy and I was also told that bananas help.
    Didn't get a single one with my second pregnancy....weird!

yep take manesium tablets! they work a treat

A friend of mine got really bad leg cramps during her pregnancy and she was told to take calcium supplements such as caltrate - which she did and they stopped (calcium causes assists with muscle contraction so maybe it has something to do with that). Hope you find something that helps.

Hello, yes I had these as shockers while we living in Darwin especially ! My dr said a calcium supplement would help, apparently it did cos I don't remember having them as bad after that!
    :-)

I have also been getting leg cramps at night, and when stretching, and cramps in my toes! Very inconvenient when I am trying to do the shopping! Can you get the magnesium tablets frm a health food shop, or chemist? What are the best ones to take?

Hmmm. I'm drinking close on 5 glasses of milk / day so I don't think its calcium. I'll try 'nanas though ...

I'm not sure about it being a calcium thing, but would agree with the whole magnesium/potassium theory. We eat almost no salt at all, and both of us (the Man and I) would get cramps, usually in the legs, and adding a bit of even just normal sea salt (I think) to our food seemed to help. Except that we don't like adding much.. Now that I am pregnant and getting those pesky cramps in my calves again, I have tried to up the salt again, bit more water and walking to help the circulation. I think it works.
    There are several different potassium varieties available from naturopaths (as I used to take them about seven years ago when I was doing heaps of physical work and going to the gym), as well as the different brands. I guess the best thing to do would be to talk to a naturopath or two, and see what they recommend. Aside from price, I haven't found much difference between brands. (ie, Blackmores folate tablets, up near $20 - 30 for only 30 tablets or so I think, and pharmacy brand less than $4 for 100!)

I got them a few months ago really bad and then they stop but over the last week i have got them back again when i turn over at night it's the worst. I also get pins and needles in my hands.