Thread: Lochia & C-Section ??

Default Lochia & C-Section ??

I was wondering if anyone could help 'clear' this up a bit...

I understand after a c-section lochia is 'less'....what if curious about is...
    -is it less as in for a shorter time?
    -is it less as in the flow is less?
    -a combination of the two?

Why Im curious is I'm wondering if the 'horror' stories of having to sit on the toilet while dressing after a shower etc is going to be my fortune aswell and If ill need to pack as many packets of maternity pads as suggested....

Any help/suggestions etc would be appreciated

I haven't experienced both vaginal birth & c/s before, but after my emergency c/s I had a pretty steady flow for 2 days. I was able to get dressed without heaps of mess but I did go through approximately 8 maternity pads in the first day & 6-8 for the following two days... it gradually got less but I did bleed on & off for around 6 weeks post birth.

I think with a c/s the locia is a steady flow that lasts longer, a vaginal bith allows more out quicker IYKWIM....(I've never had a natural birth, but I have attended them, mind you that was about 5yrs ago so my memory could be off here). Having said that, every woman bleeds differently and for differing legnths of time.... With my first C/S I don't remember having clots (sorry if TMI) but with the second, I had a few large clots when in the shower...

I have had both, and the difference isnt much, as the bleeding comes from where the placenta attaches the twin had a large placenta so after them I bled the most.

Hi,

i know im gonna look really dumb,but what is lochia??

sorry... plz excuse the PG brain!!!!

lochia is the blood you lose after pg

oh..thanx for that ,i didnt know it had a name

(im such a dope sometimes)

My best friend had a c-section and she told me that after hers she didn't bleed as much or as long because her OB had "suctioned" a lot out when he did the c-section. She still bled but not much.

That said though, I had a VB and never had to do the "sit on the loo to dress" or anything like that, even my first shower after she was born wasn't what you'd call "messy". I only bled for about two weeks and it was no heavier than my period really.

Ok this is straight from my anti-natal class handout on CS's.

Blood loss is similar to that of a normal period within the first 24 hours, and then becomes progressively lighter and pinker by the end of the stay in hospital. Within one to two weeks, there should be minimal vaginal loss present.
    Hope that helps.

I have had one natural birth, and 3 c-sections, and i can tell you, I bled alot less with the natural birth (as you only have the placental wound on your uterus's insides to heal, yet with the c-section, you have the cut as well).
    The loss I had with the c-sections was heavy for about a week, and lasted for 5-6 weeks, before finally leaving. With the natural birth, I stopped bleeding after 7 days!!
    And yes, after the c-sections, i needed to sit down whilst having a showe, and while getting dressed, as I was so damn dizzy and unsteady on my feet for about 2 days.

Blood loss is usually about the same for a C/S as for a vaginal birth. For the first two days or so it is like a heavy period and then the flow starts to lessen. For some women this bleeding can last for upto six weeks. However no two people are the same and lochia loss can vary from one person to another

Well...now i am a little worried! After my cs - sitting on the bed with a large pad/sheet type thing, a few hours after cs, blood literally poured out. Felt like a hose running, so i am guessing by the sound of everyone elses exp, that this was not normal.

Ally, mine was quite heavy at first and I also had a c-section. It wasn't much different to a very heavy period though actually. As Alan says, it will vary according to the person.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply
    As I thought it sounds like it varies greatly from person to person and once again no one can really tell you what will definatly happen...lol