Thread: lost appetite

tluvst2 Guest

Default lost appetite

Hi ladies,
    I'm new here...but I love the fact that I can chat with women due around the same time as myself. My due date is either Dec 7 or Dec 9 based on ultrasound at 6 weeks. I am losing weight instead of gaining, but my belly is growing and the heart beat was 160 at last appt a week ago. My doctor said my husband needs to take me to dinner more and I can eat whatever I want. I just wanted to know if any of you have gone through this, or are going through it. When can I expect my appetite to come back. I love food. and I miss it.

Welcome to BellyBelly tluvst2

I have just moved this thread over to General Pregnancy discussion where you are likely to get more replies.

If you would like to chat to other's who are going through the same stages of pregnancy as you, then feel free to pop on over to our Belly Buddies Due in December 05 thread.

I think it is fairly common for some women to actually lose weight in their first trimester... But I agree, its horrible being sick and unable to eat, but hopefully as you move further into your 2nd trimester your will stop being so sick and your appetite will return.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I went throught exactly the same thing at the beginning of my pregnancy. My DH was really worried about me because sometimes I went 2 days without eating anything. It does get better, I suggest though, if you feel like something have it then. Even if you or DH have to go out and get it, that way you're not missing out on food. But as I said it does get better, soon you'll be worrying that you're eating too much.

Welcome to BB, I am due Dec 9!! Come and join the December thread, we'd love to have you there!!
    I have put on weight definitely, but I certainly did not feel like eating in the early days. I really had to force myself some days to eat and I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't so much I felt I should eat for the baby, but if I didn't I just felt so sick. None of my friends understood when I was saying how much I wasnt enjoying eating (very unlike me) and I was finding it a huge struggle!!
    My appetite has started to even out now. I can eat more normal things. I still though, only eat what I feel like. DH probably is sick to death of what Im cooking, but I have to eat what I have to eat!! (Mainly lots of pasta's and carbs in general).
    xoox

Custardtart Guest

Hi there,
    I can really understand how you are feeling - I realised I was pregnant when I was away helping out on a childrens' camp and smelled pancakes cooking for breakfast, and had NO interest whatsoever in eating them. I forced myself to eat because I felt so lethargic, but had absolutely no interest in food - even when I could tell that it tasted good, it just held no appeal.
    As for how long this will last, well it's different for everyone, so I can't give you any advice there. A common food for mornings is some sort of biscuit like Salada or corn thins, which you might be able to eat without too much trouble.

A lot of people lose weight in the first trimester, do try to eat, but don't fret if you don't gain weight. In the first 26 weeks of this pregnancy I gained a total of two kilos, mind you, I did start out overweight which tends to make a difference.

Good luck and I hope you find this site a real support,

Kerrie

Melinda Guest

I think it is totally normal to lose some weight in the early days thanks to morning sickness. It's pretty unpleasant!! The important thing is that you try to eat when you can and get plenty of fluids in too. In time the morning sickness will disappear.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi

Like the others have said its pretty normal to lose weight in the first tri.I lost about 8 kgs all up as I couldn't stand the smell of most things and just felt sick all the time.I had to force myself to eat.It was mostly fruit that I could stomach and things like crackers and toast.

Goodluck...............

Hi tluvst2,

I lost 5 kilos in my first trimester due to not wanting to eat... I'm now 21 weeks and have only put 1 kilo of that back on, but my midwife said not to worry because bubs is normal size and developing properly. Just make sure you are taking a pregnancy tablet (Blackmores made me feel sick to I swapped to Elevit and it's great)

All I could stomach for about 4 weeks was twisties and grapes... I would try to force down good food but it all came straight back up! That went away about 13 weeks and now I only feel yuk if I get too tired or hungry. I'm actually eating a lot more now than even before I was pr, and I can eat anything without nausea.

So - hang in there - it WILL pass!!!

i went completely off food during my 3rd and 4th months.. now it's back with a vengeance!

i did ask my OB during the time and he said it's not something to lose sleep over. as he put it... bubs is like a parasite and is going to get it's nutrients from you anyway.. from anything you eat.

so i agree with the others, just hang in there and try not to worry too much

i was the opposite to you in that my MS made me want to eat all the time! i felt better with a full tummy so actually put on about 5kg in first tri. i guess the most important thing is to listen to your body and just eat whatever you can stomach at the time,

welcome to the forums and all the best with your pg!

Linda

Default reply

Do you m/s darl, or is there just no appetite?

I wouldn't worry to much if bubs is fine, it'll return eventually.

Welcome to BB!!!! O

Sorry for the late reply