Thread: Low blood pressure

Default Low blood pressure

It seems I have low blood pressure. Yesterday I collapsed because of the flu and my doctor said that my blood pressure was 60 and also said 'what will you be like when you are pregnant?'. What does this mean???

What will happen ? Does anyone else have low blood pressure and if so how did it effect your pregnancy?

I've read somewhere that pregnancy can lower the blood pressure.. can't remember why.. but it can cause lightheadedness and even fainting. So I guess he meant if you already have low blood pressure.. you're probably likely to -really- have low blood pressure when you're pregnant.

I've been told I have low blood pressure at times. I've always been one to feel a bit funny if I stand up too quick, but the dr's never been too concerned about it.

Yours is probably made worse with the flu tho. Hope you feel better soon.

I think my blood pressure has actually gone up since being pregnant. It was very very low last year and the Dr basically said there's nothing I can do,, maybe I should eat more salt!! Anyway, since being pregnant I have upped the fast food diet (only because of cravings early on) and think that helped with the blood pressure!! I also have to take it easy when moving quickly (standing up etc).
    Sorry not alot of help, but you might find in pregnancy you eat differently and it can affect blood pressure.
    Before being pregnant I ate very well and had no salt (I still dont add salt, just eat more salty things like pizza, chips etc), and I think that's why my blood pressure was so low.

Thanks for your replies.
    The doctor at the hospital said that because I am so young and fit that I have low blood pressure. Basically said that it is healthy to have low blood pressure. I do eat healthy food but I do eat salt too.

It seems you can't do anything right these days.

Maybe I should eat more salt and drink more alcohol.

my blood pressure is normaly at the high end of normal, but since getting pregnant it just keeps going down. at the moment i'm at the low end of normal.

i suffer from low blood pressure too. i have always become light headed quite easily.

i expected that my blood pressure would go up in pg, but mine also has gone down! it muct be common. all it means though is that i have to be carfeful when standing too quickly etc. but you tend to be more careful with things like that anyway when pg, so it doesnt concern me much

just means we are healthy and fit like you said!

Linda

I normally have 'normal' range blood pressure but with all of the bad M/S my blood pressure dropped quite low. Dr didn't really seemed concerned (actually was more worried about blood & keytones in my urine test! Yay) and said just to make sure I ate fairly regularly and to take my time getting up, especially when I've been lying down.

mooshie Guest

i have low blood pressure too.

when about 16wks prg i was in a line at the bank when i fainted, talk about a great way to queue jump lol, my ob said everything was okay i just had to sit and rest and put my legs up higher than my heart when i felt a bit faint.

with the other 2 pregancies my blood pressure has been low but i have gotton to know when to slow down and rest up a bit and to be careful when standing up quickly.

I have low blood pressure and thankfully I was fine during my PG, but I am prone to dizzy spells because of it.
    Basically the Dr told me that it is fine to have low blood pressure and I have to be sensible. No standing up in a hurry which always makes me dizzy and if I feel light headed slow down and chill out.
    I had a spell last year when I'm sure it was 90 over 50.

I have low blood pressure too and during PG I fainted twice and fell over twice too due to it, along with heaps of dizzy spells. I found that when I drank around 2 litres of water a day and throughout the day I was heaps better. Sometimes I drank a poweraide or something in the morning when I woke up dizzy & for some reason it helped...

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone. It's good to know that it is common place and it wont be too much of an issue as long as I am aware of it.