Thread: Low BP

Default Low BP

I went to my dr yesterday for an appointment and she was not very helpfull to say the least and I was very disapointed with her so I have made the decision not to have shared care anymore with her and to just have my appointments at the hospital with a midwife,
    anyway while at my appointment I asked her ( yes I had to ask ) to have my BP checked and it was quite alot lower that usual it was 105/60 and usually it is 130/80 so she said that I need to drink more water and thats it, so I am looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has had the same thing happen to them, it explains why I am feeling sooooo sick and dizzy all of the time.
    any advice you have would be greatly appreciated

TIA :flower:

I have suffered low BP from my pervious PG and this one. Mine stays around 90/60. I have been told to increase my water to 2-3 litres a day as well as making sure my diet is good.

I have also been fainting & did so with my previous pregnancy as well.

It really sucks thats for sure, when I was pregnant with Matilda the dizziness & wooziness went away when I was around 20 weeks and came back at 35 weeks. This time I'll have to wait an see. I'm due around the same time & so far I've had 3 faints over the past 3 weeks.

The other thing I've found that helps on the mornings when I wake up woozy is I sip a poweraide throughout the morning. I find this perks me up enough to get through until the afternoon. HTH!

Thanks Christy,

I really appreciate your reply, I have not fainted yet I say yet cause I have felt very close to it, I am sorry to hear that you have fainted thats terrible I hope its gets better really quick

Thanks Emma, it sounds like if I drink heaps of water it will help so I think I am going to have to buckle down a do that cause I am usually a 2 galss a day gal and thats clearly just not good enough

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Amy,

my BP during all my pgs have consistently been 110/60, so always a little on the low side.

I too don't usually drink enough water, and have to remind myself to have more than a couple of cups a day. but Dr doesn't seem to fazed by the BP and keeps saying better low than high, which is probably true.

love
    sushee

Thats exactly what my midwives said to me Sushee... that at least its low. Unfortunately you feel the low BP just as much.

Amy the other think to keep watch is during labour. Things like epidurals are known to lower your BP even more. One thing for me was the last few weeks of PG my BP went up to normal which was great going into labour.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I hope mine goes up a bit closer to when I'm due, too. Would be nice to be a little less washed out everyday. Good news is that this pg, my blood count is good, my first 3, and I had low bps and low platelet counts too.

I remember hearing about epi's depressing your bp even more, but have never had one before. Must keep that in mind!

love
    sushee

oh wow I didn't know that about epi's although I think I am going to try not to have one this time had one with both DD and DS and I really dont like them alot the side effects and the feeling that sort of thing so will see what happens,
    My neighbour who is a nurse said to me better low than high so it must be true if we have all heard it, and I tend to agree.

Sushee I am the same as far as how much water I drink I just cant keep up cause I have never really had a huge thirst IUKWIM so it is hard to drink heaps cause I have to force it down

I've heard that in the first trimester, a lot of women experience low BP for some reason. It usually goes back to normal in the 2nd trimester.

Good luck x

Hi Amym

I agree that you need to drink more water. You should have between 2 and 3 litres a day. If you get dizy when you stand up or get out of bed try doing these things slowly. For example when getting out of bed first sit up in bed and stay there for a couple of minutes. Then sit on the ide of the be and also stay there for a couple of minutes.
    Hope some of this helps.

I am not having low BP during my pregnancy but I have throughout my life had it from time to time. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do, besides making sure you get up slowly if you are laying or sitting down.

Hopefully the water works for you, but I have always drunk lots of water and it didn't help me

Thankyou for your responses I too hope it gets better in the second trimester,

Thanks Alan I value your advice alot because of your experiance but OMG to 2-3 littres of water LOL thats going to be tough but I will give it a go hehehehe,

Thanks agian everyone