Thread: Low BP

Default Low BP

Hi all!

Just got back from a check up with my GP. My blood pressure was very low at 80/40. Can anyone tell me if they have had low BP during pregnancy? What did this do to you? How did you treat it?

My GP has sent me for a GTT (because I failed the GCT) and said she doesn't want me to do anything different or try to treat it until after I've done the test, so as to not intefere with those results.

I am just curious to know what it's all about. I know a symptom is dizziness and I can definitely feel that!

Hi Ashlee

A low BP during pregnancy can be caused by many things. One of the most common causes is due to your enlarging blood vessels. During pregnancy your veinís and arteries get bigger to cope with the extra blood that your body needs ( as much as 80% extra). However sometimes the increased production of blood does not keep up with the rate that the blood vessels expand and this causes low BP. The treatment for this is to make sure that you are drinking plenty of water. At least 3 litres a day. Cut down on coffee and soft drinks containing sorbitol, this can make your body get rid of water. (a diuretic). When standing up take your time, do it slowly. Non of the above will have any major effect on your GTT.
    By the way a lot of people who fail the GCT pass the GTT.

I hope this helps

Thank you very much, I can definitely up my water intake, bt I'll have to pitch a tent at the toilet lol!

Hi Ashlee,
    Just wanted to say my BP has also been 80/40 pretty much all through my pregnancy. Usually i feel really faint in the mornings but after i drink heaps of water i feel alot better by the afternoon.
    The midwife explained to me that there isnt really much you can do for low BP, they tend to only worry about it being too high.

HTH

Simone