Thread: Low Iron...

Default Low Iron...

Not preg yet, but can anyone tell me what the physical symptoms of low iron levels are during pregnancy? I had a few probs with no 1, and wondering if my symptoms were related to my iron levels being low. Doc was a bit vague about it all. Thanks

You could probably google it Ally, but I was asking my midwife about this today.

Umm...(now to just get preggo brain to co-operate). Tiredness, dizziness, paleness, whiter on gums and in that bit under they eyeball...
    there might have been more.

But lots of those symptoms can happen in pregnancy anyway! So if you wanted to know your levels for sure, a blood test would be the way to go. Because I was convinced I had low iron, but my levels were fine, and it was actually more to do with dehydration (I don't drink enough cos I'm sick of having to pee all the time )

But yeah, other bellybellyers and the internet might know more.

Hi, Nelle is right about the symptoms and it is wise to have a blood test to confirm it then you can take some iron tabs if necessary.

I found I was very dizzy and short of breath, personally. This happened in the last trimester. The doctor tested my iron level and it was low so he told me to get some Fefol. There was an almost immediate improvement.

So don't worry ... if you get that particular complication it is easily diagnosed and remedied.

If and when you start on iron tablets, just be aware that they make your poo black! So don't be too shocked.....

I'm low as well apparently (also was low at the end with DD) but I haven't noticed any symptoms at all. I'll have to ask my numbers at my next appointment.

Fire Fly Guest

Couldnt you just start takeing Elevit. They recommend you start taking them before falling anyway.
    Just a thought.

Hi Kerrie,

I was on Elevit throughout pg and still developed iron deficiency (also ate a lot of red meat, green vegetables and vitamin C). I think the demands on the body are fairly heavy in the last trimester so that may have something to do with it.

Cheers,

Mel

I am on Elevit now, and was on it during DS pregnancy, ate heaps of meat, cos i craved steak - so i had it every day! But i still ended up with low iron in the last tri. and had to go on iron sups.
    Does anyone know, if the amount of folate in elevit (800micro grams) is enough? can i also continue with my megafol aswel at .5mg?

Elly, the amount in the Elevit is more than sufficient, coupled with the other foods you might be eating.

Just to tell you, the symptoms of low iron are very similar to the symptoms of too much iron which is very dangerous too. It's best to have a blood test to know which way to go because if you take an iron supplement and have high iron you will be doing more damage than good. Just thought I'd warn you as I myself have high iron so can't take supplements.

Melbo, Thanks for that info, i will just stick to taking the Elevit.

D girl, Thanks, i have heard of that before. A girl i work with has naturally high levels of iron, and she has to be checked every so often.

Hi!

Another symptom I've had is fatigue to the point where you feel tired even lifting your arms. A very weird tiredness....different to lack of sleep tiredness.
    I take blackmores p/g & bf multi but I'll also take an iron supplement later in the p/g and early on while b/f as they were low with my 1st p/g as well. My dr checked them a couple of times through the p/g just to confirm they were low though....