Thread: low iron and consequences?

Default low iron and consequences?

I know having low iron can make you tired and lethargic but what else are the consequences.Does it affect the baby or just the mum.Does baby need iron supplements if born with low iron?

Saige's Mum Guest

I have very low iron and was just told to take more iron tablets as you can never overdose on iron the Dr said. Not too sure how it affects bub though

Dunno about taking too many iron tabs. I am pretty sure they can cause a bit of consipation....
    Sorry dunno about how it may effect the baby though (having low iron that is).

Try & eat lots of high in iron foods as well as vitamin C (please some one correct me if I got it wrong) as that asists in the absorbtion of iron into the blood.

Yep, Vitamin C assists in iron absorption, you're quite right.

Tiredness and lethargy are just symptoms of iron deficiency but the consequences over a long period are that the immune system is depleted. If a child is deprived of iron during gestation and while very young, intellectual development can also be impaired. The baby takes from you first so you are likely the one who will suffer most from lack of iron but it is not good for either of you. If you as the mother are diagnosed as low in iron and you take a supplement, that should help both of you, even afterwards when BFing.

It can also mean the baby has a low weight at birth... and there was a study done a little while ago that showed a possible link between low iron and the possibility of developing pre-eclampsia..

okay,thanks for your info.It will reinforce me to take them and not be stupid.

tiggy Guest

Hey Caddie,
    Another thing to consider is that if your are low in iron then you are at higher risk if having a post partum haemorrage.

I became anaemic in my 3rd trimester last pregnancy and had a large amount of blood loss which could have been due to my emergency c/s or anaemia. I was on iron supplements & vitamen c, and yes it did cause constipation too... Matilda was 8lg 15oz so I'm not entirely sure about the low birth weight thing, but hey she may have been bigger had I not had anaemia LOL.... Taking the iron consistently led to me having more energy & being able to continue things like walking etc.

Okay,i had a post haemmorage after my first childs labour and needed blood transfusions.Maybe it was my fault for low iron.Scary.

I have had 2 post partum hemorrhages (1 after each birth) and though I don't think it was due to me being anemic, because my iron levels were ok, if I had been anaemic then I would have needed a blood transfusion which I managed to avoid and I believe that is due to having good iron levels before the birth.
    Caddie definitely keep your iron levels up because it will help so much if you happen to have another hemorrhage

I had very very low iron in late pregnancy. It was just over half of what it should be:eek:

I wasnt shocked as it had been measuring low the whole way thru, and ive always go low iron.

I was on pills to boost it as they were worried id need a transfusion.

As for bub, she was fat and fine!