Thread: Low Lying Placenta

Default Low Lying Placenta

Just wanted to know those of you who have had low lying placentas, what your outcome of it was in regards to the birth. Just found out today that mine is low lying and need another scan at 32 weeks to see if it's moved.

It's really, really common!
    I had that at my 18w scan with DD - by 33 weeks it was well out of the way and I had a vag birth just fine.
    More often than not it isn't a problem

Tegan - I had it with DD, at 36 weeks the ob said "it LOOKS like it has moved a bit", I still decided on having a c/s because I thought the risk was too high. Best of luck. You may find that in the third trimester that it does move - try not to worry about it until then.

My SIL had this but at her final scan was told the placenta had moved out of the way enough to have VB. Most likely it will move for you.

I had this picked up at my 20wk u/s and had another u/s at 34 wks to see if it had moved, and it had. There was a thread about this a little while ago - someone might be able to find it and post a link here - and apparently it's really common and a huge percentage move by the follow-up u/s.

Tegan, there is another thread here

Same here, Ia sked the midwife about it & she said 20% of women will need a follow up scan at 32 weeks to check if its moved. Out of that 20% maybe .5% of them will go on to have a problem.