Thread: Magnesium during pregnancy?

Question Magnesium during pregnancy?

My OB has just told me to start taking magnesium tablets to help with diarrhoea and cramping.

Has anyone else had any experience?

I have magnesium in my pronatal tablets and haven't suffered too badly with this - just slightly looser movements and the odd cramp.

Danni, I ate loads of bananas in my pregnancy with Olivia as they contain loads of magnesium and potassium........in a smoothie with milk.........fixed me up no probs......luckily I didn't suffer as much with Charlie or B3 (thankfully, cos nannas are so exy at the moment!)

I've been taking magnesium powder to help with leg cramps with great success. If I've been slack and missed a couple of days (usually cos I can't bear the thought of more liquid that will want to come out during the night LOL) I really notice it. 'Prescribed' by my naturopath and supported by my OB.

I've been taking calcium tablets for my leg cramps - if I miss a day or two they come back so they're pretty effective.

I took a bio-magnesium supplment that I got from my naturopath, for the first 20 weeks of my pg.
    Looking back at the leg cramps I had in labour, it would have been a good idea to stick with them for the whole pg.

Danni - you lose magnesium through the gut system so when you have diarrhoea you have increased secretion. Magnesium replacement is a good idea. It also helps with muscle function so it can be helpful with leg cramps.