Thread: massive uterus!!!!

Default massive uterus!!!!

I am 22 weeks at the moment, and my uterus is measuring the size of a uterus around 30 weeks. Where the uterus can normally be felt about 2cm above the umbilicus at this stage, mine is about three inches above!!!

Leo still has normal measurements according to my ultrasound, so he is not going to run out of room or anything. Am just wondering if my uterus is going to run out of room?!?! Has anyone else had measurements way over the normal, and no explanation for it, ie excess fluid etc? I am huge, I look at least 30 weeks to almost full term, because my uterus is so high up. I would have asked the doc all this, but you know what it is like, the questions start flowing in your mind once you leave that room!

Do you reckon my uterus will stop growing when it gets to full size, and then just stay that size for the rest of my PG, or do you reckon it will keep growing and squish all my inides until I pop early?!!? I am already uncomfortable when I sit because I can feel Leo right up under my ribs. And how can he be all comfy and cozy in there when there is so much excess room around him?

I'm pretty well convinced that those measurements of where it "should" be felt only apply to first babies.
    Once you've already had a baby everything is stretched and moves around much more freely than it did before so I don't think they hold as much relevance. I was also alot bigger throughout the whole of my second pregnancy than I was in my first and my babies were roughly the same size.
    Particularly when as you say your bub is measuring correctly. Everyone's built differently I wouldn't take too much notice of where the books say it should be

Thanks Flea, but that actually isn't entirely true, they still do go off your Fundal Height measurements to check you are at where you should be at in subsequent pregnancies, true the muscles etc are stretched, but after 2 years, my uterus would well and truly be back to it's original size and should still be measuring around the same give or take a few centimetres, generally not inches! This is actually information from my fantastic and wonderful VBAC supportive obstetrician, not from a book.

^ Ah but fundal height measurements are far from an exact science. Many obstetricians (mine included) don't take them at all because their accuracy is so questionable and they're entirely subjective - measurements can vary hugely depending on the person doing the measurements. I've never had my fundal height measured in either of my pregnancies.
    But ultimately if the baby is fine sizewise and ultrasound has ruled out excessive fluid there really can't be too many other causes so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks again Flea, but it is actually an issue for me because I am trying for a VBAC and given that my uterus is sitting so high up, actually mentioned on ultrasound also, it may make it difficult for the baby to drop down far enough to enter the birth canal.