Thread: Maternity Pads, how many???

Default Maternity Pads, how many???

I have a question about maternity pads for after the birth. I don't know how many packets to buy or which brand, so my questions are just that:

How many packets did you use, before going to normal pads?

And, which brand did you buy?

Thanks

Hi Nadine

Some hospitals supply large pads for when you are in hospital.

Bleeding is usually like a heavy period for the first 2-3 days then it starts to reduce. It is not unusual for you to bleed for 6 weeks.

But not everyone is the same some women only have heavy bleeding for the first day.

I used the Kotex Maternity Pads, I think I brought about 6 packs or was that 8 :-k as I thought too many would be better then not enough. I did use a couple which the Hospital gave me.

Not sure when I went onto normal pads, it may have been 5 days to a week post birth.

As for the bleeding I thought I had finished bleeding at 2 weeks for it to start up again 2 days later, overall I bled on and off for 6 weeks which was only heavy for the first couple of days.

HTH

Also Maternity Pads are used for other things as well, like my hind waters broke before labour so I went through a couple of pkts before bubs even come! I'd get maybe 4 pkts and get the thick ones, not the thin ones as it pressure against stiches if you get them.

Thanks heaps girls That atleast gives me an idea of how many packs to buy.

I used a combination of pads.

To start with I used thick ones with Libra goodnights to add extra length at the back ( I overlapped them with the thicker one near the front).

At home I used just the thick ones, if I went out the front door I used the thin Libra maternity pads, so I did not get that bulky look, I did not have stitches though (except in my tummy).

One of my friends said she used a disposable nappy for her first night!

Astrid

has anyone used cloth menstrual/maternity pads?

I've been using cloth mentrual pads for the last 3 years and didn't really want to start using disposables again..... even though it's for a short time.

I have about 14 clothies..... just wondering how many more I'll need so as to not be washing every day.

I had 3 packs and was suprised how many I went through when my waters broke. Because they leaked all day I used nearly a pack. It's day 5 and Im using maternity pads, but the ones Im on now are definitely smaller than the surfboards. If I continue this way I would think I'll be on normal tomorrow or the next day.
    Saying that I did bleed for 6 weeks with DD, but it wasn't huge amounts, so I could still use normal pads xo

Hun, I'd take 3 packs into the hospital with you and I'd use Stayfree maternity, they are quite thin and are really absorbant (sorry TMI).

These are the ones I used and there were no leaks even at night, but take 3 packs as I said as ther's only 10 in a pack.

I had about 4 packs, and used up half a pack for when my waters broke, and the rest after the birth. I also found that the thicker ones 'felt' better... more secure and comfy for those raw/sore areas. Although not so good when going out in public wearing jeans or something, as I was always paranoid that they were too bulky iykwim, lol.
    I cant remember too well, but I think I moved onto Goodnights pads after the first week, and normal pads after the 2nd week. Although I did bleed on and off for 10 weeks after Aidyns birth.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

THe Kotex ones are fab. I had an episiotomy and the thick pads were wonderful and soft for that. You might not need the thickness for the bleeding but for the comfort yes. I think I took 2 packs to hospital but I was induced so didn't have to worry about using them for my waters. And I just bought more when I got home.

As a side note too, I took my own toilet paper too, the kleenex cottonelle is a god send, definitely a must for every hospital bag.

i bought 3 packs of kotex and used them all, although by the end of the last packet i could have been using normal ones, but just used them up anyway.

I bought a variety - I used about 4 packs of Kotex Maternity - I thought these were great. Really nice and soft.
    I used 1 pack of stayfree maternity. I didn't like the libra goodnights, but still used 2 packs of them. The ones I did really like were the libra maternity in the pink pack. They were lovely and thin, but still had the length I needed for day and night. I must have used about 3-4 packs of these, and then used them again for my first period too.
    The dom midwife who came to my home about day 5ish told me I could start using thinner pads rather than the big ones. I kindly told her to mind her own business. She even told me to return a packet of Kotex maternity that I had just bought and swap them for something thinner.
    As if someone else can tell you what you need pad wise. Just a bloody joke!!!!
    If I had been mobile in hossy, I would have used at least another packet as they changed my blue sheet and hossy pads about every 30mins becasuse I was so wet/bloody during labour. Sorry if TMI.