Thread: Mattress protectors!!!HELP!!

Default Mattress protectors!!!HELP!!

Hello,

I'm abit confused about these, I've heard different opinions in books and from people I know. Some say just to use pure cotton mattress protectors, others use the normal ones with a layer of water proofing (is that dangerous for the baby?). One person told me not to put it in the bassinet near the babies head, to fold it in half to avoid the risk of it smothering the baby? I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

LizzysMum Guest

is there any info on the SIDS website? Or you can call them. I used a waterproof one but folded down.

2 layers of polar or microfleece together also have liquid holding ability (not completely waterproof but will stop enough 'til you can get it off) and it is breathable so a double layer fleece underblanket (under the sheet) may be a good alternative??

I rang the Onkaparinga Blanket factory in Albury Wodonga, they have these little 100% wool naturally repellent underblankets - perfect size for a bassinet/cot or you can use two on a single bed. They are like a thick woven wool blanket and quite breathable. I personally wouldn't use anything else now I know about these (Just can't remember what they are called, but the shop person will know what you're talking about when you ring).

My sis suggested an underlya 'cause she wishes she had one. i went and looked on the sids for kids website, but all they specified was no lambs wool. But I've decided I'll go without, I'm just not wiling to tempt fate, but I like the sound of the blanket Mary dean was talking about.

You should definetly ring sids, 'cause lots of people might be wondering the same thing and maybe they could list some guidlines somewhere.

I did call the SIDS helpline. A lady advised not to fold the mattress protector in half as this would compromise the firmness of the mattress. She could not comment on brands and wouldn't comment on whether to get one with the waterproofing or not which was a shame (as it would be alluding to brands).

I can't remember the brand of mine (thrown away the wrapper and cut off the tags - sorry!) but it is waterproof but also breathable - there was something on the packaging about it complying with SIDS recommendations.

SIDS advise that you should never use woollen underlays in cots/cradles although to be honest, I really don't understand why - maybe cos they're insulating so bubs gets too warm, or maybe cos they're softer and so might allow bubs to smother if he/she manages to roll over?

OK, I just found the Onkaparinga site (onkaparingaluxury) they said this about their "Natural Wool Proof Mat"

Natural Wool Proof Mat

The Onkaparinga Proof mat is made from natural wool. It is moisture repellent which makes it ideal as a changing mat or mattress protector . It is cool in summer and warm in winter.

Size 60 x 80cm
    Last edited by AnyDream; July 17th, 2007 at 09:39 AM.

im using a fitted waterproof mattress protector and underlay in one on my cot. its my understanding that as long as it is a snug fit (not loose) that it is fine.

mine cost $30 something from a baby store.

Mine are like a fitted sheet, only the middle part has waterproofing (on the underside) so its cotton, looks/feels exactly like a fitted sheet.

I have another fitted sheet on top of that.