Thread: Mayonnaise

Default Mayonnaise

Which mayonnaise are you able to eat while pregnant ?

I have in my fridge homebrand mayonnaise and Praise whole egg mayonnaise. Not sure which one i can eat. Not that i am pg yet but i would like to know now before i do fall pg.

TIA

I may be wrong but I believe that bottled mayonnaise and dressings are ok. Where you need to be careful is with homemade mayonnaise or anything which uses raw eggs.

Lisa

Yup, those mayos will be fine to eat will be fine to eat as they are pasteurised.

Good luck, Michelle

Most foods are regarded as safe, however freshly cooked foods are the safest. Cheeses made from pasteurised milk (pasteurisation kills listeria) and all hard cheeses are safe. Fresh, pasteurised and UHT milk is safe (as well as yoghurt) if eaten before their use by date. Thoroughly washed fresh fruit and vegetables are safe, as well as tinned and pickled foods. A more specific guide is as follows:

Canned meat and fish Safe
    Once opened, store in the fridge and use within 12 hours.

Soft cheeses such as Brie, Camembert, ricotta, feta, goat, Limburger, Montrachet, Neufchatel, queso fresco and Pont-Leveque and semi-soft cheeses such as Asiago, Belle Paese, bleu, brick, Gorgonzola, Havarti, Muenster, Port-Salut, Roquefort and Taleggio. Avoid

Processed spreads, cream cheese, cottage cheese and mozzarella Safe
    Ensure packaging is intact

Hard yellow cheese Safe
    Store in fridge

Cold meats (roasted or boiled)
    Ready cooked (from supermarket, sandwich bars, etc.) Avoid

Home cooked meats Safe
    Use within 12 hours of cooking or freeze. Unused portions can be thawed in the fridge and used immediately.

Home cooked chicken Safe
    Cook thoroughly. Use immediately or store in fridge and use within 12 hours.

Hot take-away chicken Safe
    Make sure it's steaming hot when you buy it. Use immediately or store in fridge and use within 12 hours.

Ready cooked chicken, cold (whole or sliced) Avoid

Ready made pate (packaged or loose) Avoid

Ready-made salads from salad bars, packaged etc. Avoid

Home-made salads Safe
    Wash all vegetables thoroughly. Store in fridge, use within 12 hours.

Salad dressings Safe
    Store opened containers in the fridge.

Raw seafood (oysters, sashimi or sushi) or smoked (chilled or frozen) Avoid

Cooked seafood Safe
    Cook fish all the way through.

Taken from http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=92831

That's why I like the list above. It lists ALL soft cheeses as Avoid. It also includes a lot of the more common "busy life" meals such as takeaway chickens etc. Many don't or they leave a lot out and make you guess too much.

Lisa

I was told you couldn't eat Mayonaise that had egg in it, although there is a Praise one that has no egg in it at all and was safe to it. I think its their 98% fat free one.

Now just to further clarify, I rang the hospital last night and midwives there agreed with the list. Salad dressings in bottles/jars are safe. They have to be heated to be bottled.

Lisa