Thread: Mayonnaise/Hollandaise Sauce???

Default Mayonnaise/Hollandaise Sauce???

I know you can't eat eggs unless they're really well set. So what about stuff like mayonnaise that has raw egg in it? Do the preservatives kill off any listeria bugs or is that no-no too??

Lulu - if you are eating manufactured mayo like your Krafts and Praise's - it's ok because in Aust the ingredients have to be pastourized and they don't use raw eggs (imagine all the stinky off jars of Mayo there would be if they did!). However, your home made mayo etc is a no no unless you omit the eggs. If you're going out somewhere that has mayo listed as an ingredient (like a resturant) just ask if they make it themselves as if they do, it will most likely have raw egg in it and will be a no no for you. But those manufactured ones are fine. HTH. I don't know how I would cope without my tangy mayo!

MG

More and egg question than mayo...but does that mean that the if I have fried/poached or boiled egg it has to be not runny at all and totally the lighter yellow colour yolk which it goes when cooked and not have any darker colour so it's like not runny but not hard hard IYKWIM???

Cass - I thought it was the white's of the egg that were the problem? I make sure that everything is at least well on it's way to being set with my eggs. I am missing my "soldiers"! and really hate the hard dry yellow egg bit..... I'm adding runny eggs to my list of things to eat as soon as this baby gets here!

I don't know which part is the prob MG I've had eggs a couple of times - fried I had them so the yolk was mostly cooked and had the darker yolk (and the tiniest runny bit) as well as I did with boiled eggs last night (no runniness at all).

I'm like you...HATE them hard and dry. Bubs is still kicking me like a footy player today so I couldn't have done anything.

They say don't eat runny or raw eggs or any products containing them while pg because of the risk of salmonella. So basically you need to have your eggs cooked. Just how cooked I am not sure, but I am thinking the yolks need to be set all the way through.

Yep - yolks definitely set too which is what I was told. Kind of makes eggs benedict a bit sad!!