Thread: Medical staff not feeling bubs correct position

Question Medical staff not feeling bubs correct position

The title is a bit wishy washy I know....sorry

when i was pregnant with mason, every visit, and every differnt ob/mw told me that he was head down.I knew that he wasn't...so after many visits I insisted on a scan at 30 something weeks, and sure enough I was right. Feet down!

Now I know "J" is head up too, but bum down rather than feet down.

So yesterday my mw had a feel, and assures me he is head down. Its impossible though. I get a pushy uppy feeling under my sternum from a big ball.No kicks up top, nothing. All kicks to the side or at the bottom.

Soooooo I was wondering, how many other people just believe that their babies are head down and off they go for a vaginal birth and realise that theyre not?

Do most people have scans late in their pregnancy these days?

both my babies had heads like bums, or bum-like heads not sure but they thought both of them were breech when they were right way round. Both times we had a scan in the birth suite to check and sure enough, they just have bum heads :-)

Having said that a friend of mine recently gave birth and at the pushing stage out came two feet instead of a head! A bit of a surprise for all concerned but she had a successful vaginal breech birth

thanks saram! im glad its not just me

Danni, my bub is breech and I was sent for an ultrasound at 36w to check because they weren't sure seeing as they thought he was head down for the last 3 visits. The movements you mentioned sound like what I get. I have a hard ball up top that moves from side to side and it's almost a burning pressure sensation and I have heaps of what must be foot/leg movements on my left hand side, and sometimes down in my pelvis.
    If you still suspect he's breech in a few weeks I would be asking to be sent for an ultrasound to double check to put your mind at ease.

My daughter turned and went 1/5 of the way into pelvis from 28wks. It was clear to tell which was she was. This baby appears to have done the same thing as my kicks are suddenly up high/side rather than down low where they've been for teh last few weeks.

I have a scan at 30wks for growth and if the baby's breech i am pretty sure they do another scan later to confirm it's turned if it was breech at 30wks.

If your sure just ask for one. If they don't want to you could always fib and say you've had spotting. I wouldn't normally endorse lying to get a scan but if you are sure and they won't listen then you may need to.