Thread: medicare rebate

Default medicare rebate

do i qualify for the medicare rebate when getting a 3D/4D scan done, even if i have no medical reason for doing so. i do have a doctors referral for 'health and well being scan'.

We had our 3d scan at the same time as our normal one. I think we just got the normal rebate back but I can't really remember.....sorry.

Hi Hollo,

I had my 18-20 weeks scan the other week which they also did 3D/4D and i was able to get a rebate from Medicare. I think i paid $180 and received $85 back.. so id say yes.

I believe you'd basically get the normal rebate of around $80 back; regardless of the type of ultrasound (whether it be 2D, 3D or 4D). That said, the limitation on rebate from Medicare is in the number of ultrasounds you're allowed. You can only have one from 18weeks plus (IIRC). I ended up paying completely for 2 (GRRRRR!) because they stuffed up the initial 20wk one; and then the doctor ordered a 32 week one because she was worried Maddy wasn't growing sufficiently. I got a rebate on my first 18 week+ scan.

If you're concerned, either check out the Medicare site, or give them a call. They'll be able to tell you what you can expect.

I've had multiple scans with each of my pregnancies and I've never had a medicare claim refused :smt102
    I had three with Emily (10wks, 18wks and 34wks) and no one questioned it? The 34w and 18w ones were both regular and 3D but I don't think that matters.

thanks everyone. i will have to look into it. this scan will be around 32 weeks just to get some good photos really. but i will ring medicare. thanks again

I've just had another scan done today. I've already had one done at 20 weeks which was to check the heart and growth of the baby. That one was claimable to Medicare. As this scan was not nescessary I wasn't able to claim it. I think you can only claim a scan if there is something picked up that has to be followed up on later or if a problem develops with the baby.
    The scan I had done was a 4D one for my own "amusement" so therefore is not claimable at all.

As Sammi pointed out, it does need to have a reason. I wasn't thrilled that I had to pay the entire $160+ for my 32wk scan when my GP had requested it and referred me for it.

Apparently however, there is a certain code on the referral that you can get your GP to put that will get Medicare to put it through for a rebate. Not sure what it was but the Medicare lady I saw mentioned it when she apologised for not being able to give me any reinbursement.

I've had four scans all up now - 6 weeks, 12 weeks NT, 20 weeks and 37 weeks as baby is breech so needed measurements.

I was able to claim all of these, and got about $80 back for each.