Thread: milo

Default milo

i was reading the nutrition label for milo the other day and it says it contains vitamin A. i know excessive amounts of vitamin A are dangerous to pregnancy but am not sure if that is only when using them as vitamin supplements or if milo would also have too much in it. does anyone else drink milo regularly or do you think it would be wise to stop drinking it?

I have milo regularly. I looked it up once b4.. this is what I found

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana_baby
    ok.. here's what I found about my precious milo! hehe.

Retinyl Acetate IS the bad form of vit A. However the recommendation is that you don't exceed 5000IU per day if you're pregnant. This is not easily converted between mcg & IU as IU is the potency of the drug/vitamin, so it doesn't help much.

Anyway - there's 525mcg of vit A in 100g of milo (which is 70% RDI), and that's a lot of milo! The few teaspoons we'd have in a glass wouldn't be a prob

Plus I also found that vit A is quite important during pregnancy, it's just not recommended that supplements be taken, as that is when you get too much and it can cause probs with the baby.

Phew! Anyway.. I'm still going to drink my milo.. as it makes me have a good amount of milk too
    It came up in this thread here http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/view...=300684#300684

Hollo - Milo is fine there is no reason to stop drinking it at all from a vitamin A point of view, it does have caffine in it, so my doctor suggested no more than 3 cups a day.

hehe.. Lisa - I looked up about the caffeine too (I got a bit precious about my milo at one stage )

The amount of cocoa in milo is very minimal (can hardly be called a chocolate drink really) so there is very little caffeine in it.

Ivana - I tell you I will be glad when I don't have to worry about things anymore, I never thought pregnancy would be so stressful! I hope it gets better, but i can see I am going to be a worrier of a huge kind when I actually have a baby to care for!

A dietician I saw the other day informed me that the vitamin A that's found in liver (retinol) is the bad one, not your regular vitamin A (b-carotene) , like carrots etc..."Excessive vitamin A intake from other foods is unlikely".
    Made me feel a whole lot better!
    HTH.
    Didge

thanks for your replies. its good to know that i wont have to stop drinking my milo.