Thread: Morning Sickness Experiences

Default Morning Sickness Experiences

How is everyone doing?

My Mum and Nan never experienced any morning sickness, and neither did any of my aunts. I'm also the first of all my friends to fall pregnant, so I've had no idea what to expect as far as morning sickness is concerned. So, what I was wondering is: what has everyone's experiences of morning sickness been? When do/did you usually get it, did any foods trigger it, etc?

What I've been surprised about is that my morning sickness just seems to completely creep up on me. I'll be feeling fine, then I'll eat something (or even think about a certain food), and then I start feeling a bit 'odd' - not sick exactly, just a bit off. Then my mouth starts filling with saliva, and then I know I better find the nearest basin or toilet! So far, what has triggered my morning sickness has been coldish wholemeal toast, a bruised bit of mandarin and pureed apple. I also find, if I think too much about my previous 'episodes', that can trigger or help along my morning sickness. Also, I only started getting morning sickness that lead to vomitting around 9 and a half/10 weeks, and I'd always heard it usually occurred earlier than this.

What have your experiences been?

Hi Sterla. I'm the same, my Mum and Nan both said they didn't really have any morning sickness either. Lucky them!!
    I started feeling sick since a week before AF was even due!! But it got bad at about 6 weeks and is still here. It's not just in the mornings, it's all day and night and I don't know if anything triggers it, I just feel sick constantly, ugh!!!!

My morning sickness started about 6 weeks and stopped about 16 weeks. I felt ill all day. The way I can explain the feeling is when you are so hungry you feel sick but if you eat, it doesn't help. I never vomited (came close but breathed through the urge). My mum had worse morning sickness than me with all three of us girls. Any food cooking smell made me feel ill and I survived on sunflower seeds and banana milkshakes. McDonald's vanilla shakes got me through too (although I found out later i wasn't sposed to eat soft serve when pregnant!?). It was such a relief when the morning sickness stopped. The rest of my pregnancy was amazing. I've never felt so wonderful in my life. Not long for both of you now and you'll be feeling the pregnancy glow ;-) Good luck!

Hon everyone is different... I had morning sickness from 5 weeks, all day everyday (sorry not what you want to hear), untill I birthed DD at 35 weeks and 5 day and with DS from 5 weeks till 26! Not fun, But I've had friends who've had it start at 12 weeks some it started at 5wks and ended at 7wks.

I found I coundn't eat much at all!!...yet managed to gain a whopping 30kgs!!! (Whale)

Still losing it too UUUMMM.

Good Luck and I hope it ends really soon.

PS My Nan and Mum never had it either.

Oh yes, my mum's description of morning sickness was "sometimes I would eat one piece of toast in the morning rather than two".

Me, however, spent three months unable to move from the couch making very good friends with a nice blue bucket that I still have trouble looking at!

I was, obviously, pretty miserable with m/s and unable to do much, so I did excessive amounts of internet searching on it. The one truism seemed to be that its just different for everyone! Most people talk about that feeling of being so hungry you feel sick, but being unable to eat, or eating not helping. And yes, like you said, it can (and usually does) come on super quick.

I got to the point where I thought I would slap the next person who told me to try ginger and eating dry crackers before I got out of bed (neither of which actually helped me, and only lead to a severe aversion to ginger). There are two things I found that helped. One was protein shakes/drinks. Protein helped to settle my tum somewhat, and the easiest way to get it was a protein shake- and it was yummy. (I also had a thing for roast chicken- I was like a cavewoman, I would just tear into it....). The second thing was vicks vaporub. I gagged TERRIBLY through the whole time and smells really bothered me. I would carry around my little jar of vicks and smell it A LOT to block out other smells. If I was going out, I would smear a bit under my nose. (Just a word of warning- I have since been told that the menthol or something in vicks is perhaps not good for you during pg- I haven't done any research on this, so proceed with caution. FWIW, it helped me a lot and my baby is fine).

I don't think its wierd for m/s to start at 9-10 weeks. Yes, its later than a lot of people, but not too strange. Hopefully it will be over for you within a few weeks. All the websites say it should stop at 12 weeks, but most anecdotal evidence suggested 13-14 weeks was more common. I was sick until 6.5 months, but thats very unusual!

Good luck and I really hope it doesn't get too bad for you!

Let me know if you have any questions.

IM like NikW, I had it from 6-16weeks. It's just started this time and if you mention kidney beans, soup, bread, falafel, pumpkin, etc I will feel ILL. I have alot of food aversions. Mainly anything I eat in the first 3 months I go off straight away. Very limiting. I just have to make sure I eat what I feel like and have something on hand ALL the time. If I don't eat I feel very sick and can faint. Not fun.
    Hope yours subsides soon xo