Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning Sickness and Gender

Default Morning Sickness and Gender

Does anyone think morning sickness or lack of has anything to do with the gender of your baby? My mum had no ms with either me or my sister and a couple of my friends did have ms with their boys. Could I be having a girl then? he he

I think it's an old wives tale but it's fun to guess

I've had it with both pregnancies, but it was worse with this one, which is a boy.

My naturopath said that morning sickness has a lot to do with genetics. If your mother didn't have any then it's more likely you wont, and vice versa. I've also heard of people who had m/s with one baby and not with the other and the sex of the child turned out to be different! so who knows.

You lucky girl - I haven't hurled yet but I'm feeling yrurky for most of the day every other day at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kar
    My naturopath said that morning sickness has a lot to do with genetics. If your mother didn't have any then it's more likely you wont, and vice versa. I've also heard of people who had m/s with one baby and not with the other and the sex of the child turned out to be different! so who knows.

You lucky girl - I haven't hurled yet but I'm feeling yrurky for most of the day every other day at the moment.

I don't about that, Not sure how bad my mother had m/s but I didn't have it that bad at all. But my sister has chucked her guts up all the way through with all of her pgs.
    With my first I had none at all, maybe a little nausier. With my second I had a bit more nausier but still no vomiting & third time round still no vomiting but slightly worse again as far as feeling car sick.
    I have had 2 boys & now pg with a girl. I personally think (for me anyway) that each pg is so different & your body responds differently regardless of the gender. For me I think its more a matter of how your body copes. My m/s exp has worsened with each pg, I think that has more to do with my body not being the top condition it was when I fell pg first time round KWIM??

LOL, it is SO open to interpretation........

When I was pg with Olivia I had constant MS....no actual hurling, but it felt like 24/7 motion sickness until I got to about 15 weeks.

With Charlie, barely anything at all....occasionally I would feel a bit ick when I opened a can of smelly dog food, but nothing major...

WIth my current pregnancy, no sickness at all, even though it is another baby girl....

My thoughts were that my body is used to it all now, so doesn't react to the hormones as much?

Just goes to show....it is always so different in different women and in different pregnancies.........

I wounder too, Most people experience m/s inthe first trimester (unlucky ones it continues). So if the baby doesn't actually become a he or a she till x amount of weeks, would it still have an inpact on m/s in the very early days before it was determined if it was a boy or a girl...

Or are the hormones for boy or girl there from the start? Don't we all start off as girls??

Please remember I am pg, just incase that doesn't make any sence or sounds completly stupid LOL

My MiL had identical sypmtoms for both her boys, down to the fact that she knew what was going to start/stop on which day with my DH.

My mum's family always had morning sickness=boy, no morning sickness=girl, but then she threw up for the full 9 months with me, so I'm not going by that one for me.

As for boy/girl, yes, your genetics are "point of impact" for boy/girl, but for the first trimester the baby doesn't have a penis, that doesn't start to grow until about 12 weeks, so all 1st trimester babies look like girls, but have the correct genetics and hormones for what they will be later.

I had nothing with my first preg, no M/S, no ill feeling nothing at all... I had a girl...
    I fell preg felt icky but lost that baby (do not know gender)..
    With my last preg I had motion, movement, smell, senses sickness, but only spewed after meals.. Another girl....
    So I think it's all different...
    Both of my sisters 1 older & 1 younger were hospitalised during their preg's with morning sickness & dehydration...
    My Mum was fine with baby #1, but with me she was awfully ill & couldnt feed my sister her brekky as it made her vomit, with my younger sister she ate anything & everything & was fine!!!???

So I dont think any theories are ever concrete!

I still get told now by people that ask if I have kids & were the preg's the same & I tell them they were totally opposite including the way I carried etc, they say... So you have 1 of each, I say Nope & then they always say, you've got 2 boys!? Nope 2 girls, they just smile then!!!??? So maybe I have wrecked their theories!???

I've had one girl and one boy and my pregnancies were totally different. With my daughter I didn't have a single moment of sickness. For the entire first trimester I wouldn't have known I was pregnant except for the extreme tiredness I felt. With my son I was constantly nauseous (but no vomiting) into the second trimester.

Who knows if it had anything to do with their gender though.....!

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    Fiona, the sperm is boy or girl sperm, so its from the very "point of impact" that the sex is determined! LOL
    Der Fletch! LOL I may be pg but I did know that.

I think Ryn kinda cleared it up for me

As for boy/girl, yes, your genetics are "point of impact" for boy/girl, but for the first trimester the baby doesn't have a penis, that doesn't start to grow until about 12 weeks, so all 1st trimester babies look like girls, but have the correct genetics and hormones for what they will be later.
    Thats what I meant, I wasn't sure if seems there isn't the penis etc before 12 weeks, would there still be the hormones to have an affect on how you feel. But Yes I guess if the hormones are there from the start then it would, if it does.

Ha, considering it's a 50/50 chance of being correct, people will tell you anything and think they're right when you have what they said....

I've never had morning sickness with any of my pregnancies so for me i can't work out if it's a boy or girl.\

But i have had friends that where very sick with boys but not girls. But DH's cousin was the other way round she was very sick with her girls but not her little boy.

Melody Guest

I think it is really 'luck of the draw'. My mum had none, niether did I or one of my sisters but the other basically threw up 24/7 for the whole nine months each one. She had two girls & I always thought that maybe a girl messed with you a bit more because of 'clashing hormones' but seeing as plenty of women have no morning sickness with girls then that doesn't make sense either.

All I can do is pray that my good luck stays with subsequent pregnancies.

In my family genetics, we've all been really ill when pregnant with girls. Both my sister & I had terrible M/S through til almost 18weeks pregnant. My mum had M/S through to the same point when she was pregnant with both my sister & I; whereas when she was pregnant with each of my three brothers she only had mild M/S through to the end of the 1st trimester.

Of course, neither my sis or I have had more than one child; and both of us have had girls so we don't have boy pregnancies to compare them to.

DH thinks that seems most people these days only have 2 maybe 3 kids that its not much to go off to say that "1st pg was a girl & I was sick 2nd was a boy & I wasn't, so there for your having a boy/girl becuase you have/have not got m/s". He thinks that is not enough to go off. Maybe those few on here that have had 5 or more pg's can put there thoughts in on this one.

I don't know what I think of DH's idea on the subject.

Yup, I think your DH has it spot on! My grandma had 5, and her mum had 5, and for all of them it was boy=m/s, girl=no m/s - in fact, my grandad got boils when grandma was pg with mum and my aunt. My mum had m/s with my brother and really bad m/s with me (for nine months), then nothing with my sister. Her sister had m/s with her son. But 2 is a bit of a small sample size. And it depends on the individual woman, not just what happened to someone else.

Shame my great-great-grandma isn't around, she had 13 and she'd be able to tell you a bit more!

With Matilda I vomitted until I was 23 weeks and this time I was sick for 2-3 weeks with nausea not heaps of vomitting and its another girl.

I think it is just individual as Ryn has said. I had the idea that it just gets worse with each pg regardless then someone said theres got better with each pg regardless.

Mind you I wish I did vomit sometimes. Mostly my sister, but no one seems to remember there is more pg symptoms then just m/s. I suffer with the blocked nose thing, dry skin, really painful joint for early on. etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast